Any thoughts on this welder?

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Guys , Take a look at this welder please. It is a DC welder with 140 amps 220 volt input. I need a new one for around here and this is a toss-up beteen this and the Hobart AC welder @ 205 amps. In 35 years of living here, I've used a welder 5 times so I do not need to spend much more than this.

http://longevity-inc.com/product_details.php?id=20

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #2  
Pretty basic welder. I'd rather see one with AC and DC and the ability to add a TIG, but $$$ often get in the way (or the lack of $$)

The one worry some point is they didn't list the duty cycle. It probably has on the order of 10-15% duty cycle at 100% output. (my guess) That's BAD, if correct. You want to have 30-50% duty cycle at 100%, unless you enjoy waiting. And grinding off poor welds that were made just prior to the machine shutting down.

jb

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #3  
It says 60% at 120 amps. One thing I am not shure of is whether it is ac or dc. At first I assumed it was ac but when looking at the pics it shows marking for reverse polarity ??
Bill

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #4  
Hi I used a smaller mig welder i think it was a 155 hobart or less i found out the first thing the gas had to be turned down it cooled down the weld this is great for body work. i use a vintage 250 miller i would suggest a 250 range mig if you are going to do thick metal to weld correct.

/ Any thoughts on this welder?
It is a dc welder. It is an arc welder. My preference is stick welding.

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #6  
I would say you have just found a welder in your price range since you have only used a welder 5 times in the past 35 years.

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #7  
Guys , Take a look at this welder please. It is a DC welder with 140 amps 220 volt input. I need a new one for around here and this is a toss-up beteen this and the Hobart AC welder @ 205 amps. In 35 years of living here, I've used a welder 5 times so I do not need to spend much more than this.

Longevity Global: Product Detail, Aluminum Welders, Multi, Combo , Stick, Welders, Spot Welders, Lincoln Welder, Arc :: WeldMate LArc-140

That welder is pretty dinky--only weighs 30 lb. My Hobart Stickmate AC/DC welder weighs 100 lb and has a lot more iron in it--which translates into duty factor.

I had one of those small Harbor Freight DC stick welders about the size of that Weldmate you're looking at. A piece of junk with a pint-size duty factor.

/ Any thoughts on this welder?
Ya know wusha, you are absolutely right. I guess I need to rephrase my question. After shipping, this Longevity welder will cost about the same as the free freight Hobart welder from Northern. The Hobart is an ac welder with an output of 205 amps. Duty cycle is 100% at 90 amps on the Hobart. It also has a hot start to minimize sticking. My old welder is ac as well. What might be the advantage of one over the other or is the Longevity hot enough at 140 amps DC to do what I need. (Some repairs are on 3/8" mild steel) I'm not thnking the duty cycle is an issue as both these welders beat my old welder on that by quite a bit and that never presented a problem. I believe this (Longevity)is an inverter type machine so its weight is minimized. 60% duty cycle at 120 amps is pretty good in my mind

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #9  
i will say yes both are hot enough, with a duty cycle that will well serve farm/home/hobby use.
here are some rod size / amperage recommendations:
- 7018 - 3/32" = 70 - 110 amp
- 7018 - 1/8" = 90-160 amp
- 7018 - 5/16" = 120-210 amp
- 6011 - 3/32" = 60-100 amp
- 6011 - 1/8" = 80-125 amp
- 6013 - 1/8" = 70-120 amp

as you see from above the rod size is the major deciding factor for amperage selection, then the metal thickness. any metal thickness can be welded using multiple passes. 1/8" rods are about the only size I buy, used for 3/16" or thicker steels.

yes Longevity machines use "MOSFET Inverter Technology". I have yet to purchase one, but have been hoping to do so soon. the size/weight portability is a major purchase factor for me (to old to lug weights everywhere)

on a note: these units are in fact Chinese Imports. there are many heated debates about them because of this. following others experiences, the support is great, just issues any startup company will have. shipping damages seem to have been a major cause of problems. Call or Email them, they respond quickly and friendly to all questions.

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #10  
Well in that case, go to Craigslist and shop for a used buzzbox (craftsman, etc.) $99 and you have a welder. Unscale it you need dc... I'd go used (I did, actually, a Miller Thunderbolt). But, my Sears was the best unit to learn with. I did steel, cast iron, plate, overheads, out in the field with a pto generator and all that for $50 a few years ago.