no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #11  
I will try to "prime" the pump tonight. Although it was dark outside I think there may be oil in the radiator. I will double check this tonight also.

What would cause oil in the coolant? Blown head gasket?

The tractor never had trouble building pressure before. 1 second after the tractor started I had pressure.

Speedy:)

Its either a blown head gasket or a cracked block. Good luck!

Chris

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N
Are there oil passage ways throught the head? I am trying to think where there could be oil/ antifreeze mixing happening. I was looking at some pictures of 8N heads and can't tell if there is oil flow into the head.

Speedy:)

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #13  
You can't "drop the pan" on a N without spliting the tractor. The oil pan is very heavy and part of the engine/frame system.
Is the oil level low? Is the water level high? Did you let it freeze?
I haven't worked on a N for about 7 years so I've forgotten most of what I knew. I would disconnect the coil and crank it to check pressure, these engines are tough but they can't take no oil. Not sure how oil could get in the water. There are no oil passages in the head , just water passages.

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N
I have only had the tractor for a year. I wonder if the guy I bought it from knew of the problem (cracked block), flushed the coolant and sold it to me.

If the block is cracked where do I find a good used one?

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #16  
You can't "drop the pan" on a N without spliting the tractor. The oil pan is very heavy and part of the engine/frame system.

You most certainly CAN drop the pan without splitting the tractor. (I've done quite a few)

You wedge the front axle (between axle and steering bolster) to prevent the front axle from pivoting. Then support the weight of the tractor from underneath the bell housing. Use a floor jack (or transmission jack) to support the oil pan, unbolt it, then lower it out of place.

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #17  
SpeedRacing944,

I have a 1943 2N. My tractor loses oil pressure occasioally when sitting for a long period of time. From other posts I learned that I can prime the oil pump using the oil pressure relief on the front of the block. I remove the hex plug and take out the pressure relief spring and pin. Then I prime the passage with a bit of 90W lube and allow some time for the lube to drain down to the pump. Replacing the pin, spring and hex plug I'll then start the engine. The oil pressure is high when first started however will come back down to normal as the engine warms up and the lube mixes in with the oil. If you feel you have to you can then change the oil. Hope this helps.

Terry

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #18  
Follow Up.

I have also found antifreeze in my oil when changing. I'm in the process of changing out the head gasket. After removing the head it appeared that the gasket was comprimised on number one cylinder near a coolant port. That plug was always the first to foul. The tractor was also overheating due to what I believe were combustion gases leaking into the water jacket. While I'm this far I'm going to replace the radiator as well. The old radiator I'm certain is the original and I could never run the coolant system under pressure. It's been a good tractor for all the years I've had it. Perhaps it will be for a few more.

Terry

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #19  
I remember a guy who thought his oil pump screen was plugged and he said he drained the oil; filled crankcase with diesel fuel let it sit a while and then started it and let it idle for a short time , then shut it off and drained out diesel. He said it cured his problem. I did not see him do it and do not know if it is a good idea, but I would think the lighter fluid would be easier for the pump to pick up thinner fluid, and in the process it would clean all the gunk out of passages etc.

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #20  
I remember a guy who thought his oil pump screen was plugged and he said he drained the oil; filled crankcase with diesel fuel let it sit a while and then started it and let it idle for a short time , then shut it off and drained out diesel. He said it cured his problem. I did not see him do it and do not know if it is a good idea, but I would think the lighter fluid would be easier for the pump to pick up thinner fluid, and in the process it would clean all the

Wonder hoe many fellows have had to replace the engine after this type of stunt?:confused: