no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #1  
Tractor
1947 Ford 8N
Went out to start the tractor and I have no oil pressure. The oil level is high enough on the dip stick and should be alright. Where should I check first?

Speedy:)

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N
I just pulled out the oil filter cartridge and started the motor. There was no oil flowing into the oil filter housing.

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #3  
Don't sound good. I think you know whats a commin.

Chris

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #4  
I just pulled out the oil filter cartridge and started the motor. There was no oil flowing into the oil filter housing.

SOUNDS LIKE A OIL PUMP BUT I AM NO EXPERT, but with any luck SOUNDGUY will find this thread and he is very up to speed on this type of tractor

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #5  
Don't know what drives the oil pump on this motor but it's something to consider. Clogged pump screen would be something to think about too.

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #6  
It seems strange that you had oil pressure when you parked it? And now you don't. Were you the last one to run the tractor?
Bill

I was the last to drive it about 2 months ago. I am a avid gage watcher and never noticed a lack of oil pressure.

Diamondpilot,
What is a coming?

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #8  
There is some issue with the oil pumps loosing their prime on the N's but I can't remember what it was. IIRC you had to take a gally plug out and prime the pump when this happens.
Just be careful not to do damage running it.
I just looked at my N repair manual and the pump is above the oil level so it has to draw the oil up to the pump. Looks like you could take the oil line loose under the filter resovior and use a squirt oil gun and put oil to the pump but I'm not sure.

I will try to "prime" the pump tonight. Although it was dark outside I think there may be oil in the radiator. I will double check this tonight also.

What would cause oil in the coolant? Blown head gasket?

The tractor never had trouble building pressure before. 1 second after the tractor started I had pressure.

/ no oil pressure 1947 Ford 8N #10  
I was the last to drive it about 2 months ago. I am a avid gage watcher and never noticed a lack of oil pressure.

Diamondpilot,
What is a coming?

You are going to have to drop the oil pan as a minimum and check the pick up screen and the pump. I am not sure what is all involved in that but its a start. I have not changed the oil on a N series tractor but on my 861 and my neighbors 961 the oil drain plug is about 2 inches and it has a screen in it where the oil pickup sits once the plug is back in place.

Chris