Glow plug indicator

/ Glow plug indicator #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
I need to replace the G.P. indicator and was hoping I could get just the wire, since that's all I need (old one burned in half). I am sure this wire offers some resistance so it's doubtful I would want to simply jump the two terminals. Anyone know if this wire can be purchased and if so, where?
Thanks.

/ Glow plug indicator #2  
Might help if we knew what you were working on. :)

/ Glow plug indicator
Sorry. The glow plug indicator on my Mitsubishi MTE 2000D tractor burned out (the wire in the dash mounted indicator burned in half). I would prefer to simply replace the wire than buy a new indicator. I am looking for a source for the "resistance wire" and was hoping someone could tell me if this type of wire is available to purchase from a parts source. I was specifically hoping there may have been an automotive use for this type of wire and available at an Napa, O' Reillys, etc. parts store.

Darryl

/ Glow plug indicator #4  
I don't think you would find it at an auto store, maybe a radio shack. how much can the whole thing cost, I guess I shouldn't be surprised if it's alot, they wanted like $80. for a flasher switch!!! on my old Ford, now I have a bent nail for a switch!!

You could experiment with common wire the worst that can happen is it will burn out, just don't preheat longer than usual so you don't damage something else.
We've been discussing a Fords indicator not working in the Ford forum and with the older Ford if the indicator is out then the glow plugs will not light either, don't know if that is true with all glow plug circuits.

/ Glow plug indicator #5  
Or try one from another tractor. You can get one for Kubota for $17.19 plus some shipping from TractorSmart.com is your online source for Kubota online parts.. The part number is 15531-65950. How far wrong can you go?? All it does is glow when the plugs are activated for a few seconds. Of course it's probably a different size. This one is round and about 2" in diameter. Pretty simple little device.

/ Glow plug indicator #6  
Sorry. The glow plug indicator on my Mitsubishi MTE 2000D tractor burned out (the wire in the dash mounted indicator burned in half). I would prefer to simply replace the wire than buy a new indicator. I am looking for a source for the "resistance wire" and was hoping someone could tell me if this type of wire is available to purchase from a parts source. I was specifically hoping there may have been an automotive use for this type of wire and available at an Napa, O' Reillys, etc. parts store.

Darryl

I'll find an old electric heater, take the heater wire off, take a 12 volt battery and start experimenting before I put it in the tractor. I calibrate the length to the point it glows in about 15-20 second which should be enough to preheat the glow plug. if all fails you can still jump the indicator with a piece of wire and count for 20 second and you're good to go. indicator does no other function other than being a timer, an open indicator and current can not go to glow plugs.

JC,

There is current post in blue forum that might help you. specially if you can preheat with key in ignition in start position with the clutch safety switch in it's normal open position.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/131986-ford-1700-start-aid-quit.html

dsc03618vh6.jpg

/ Glow plug indicator #7  
Some glow plugs operate at voltages other than 10v. The voltage is usually stamped on the side of the glow plug. Also keep in mind that it makes a difference how many glow plugs are in the circuit. A friend of mine used a large paper clip, but the Plugs were rated at 10v and it was only a two cylinder engine. If you jumper the indicator and the glow plugs are 10v, you take a chance of burning them outl I haven't found a heater wire that could handle the 20-30 amps current. It's easier and cheaper to order the orginal indicator and save the glow plugs.

/ Glow plug indicator #8  
I doubt that it would be more than an ohm or two. The one on the Kenbota doesn't glow any more but I just hold the key on and count to five and it starts right up. Longer on really cold days. I guess the nichrome wire crystallizes after being heated many times. It may have gained some resistance but it still completes the circuit and heats the glow plugs. It wouldn't do much good to measure the resistance on mine since it doesn't glow but someone else might.

What you need is something like 14-12ga. nichrome wire. I don't know where you'd find it small quantities. You might take a walk through a scrap yard and locate an old toaster oven. They use nichrome wire for the heater coils and some are open coils. All you need to do is get close to the resistance of the original.

If you could live with just counting, a ceramic ignition resister would work to lower the voltage to around 10v. You can get those at any auto parts.

/ Glow plug indicator #9  
You should not by pass the resistor wire. It is needed to keep the full voltage of the battery from reaching the glow plugs when you are preheating (the engine is not cranking). If you replace the resistor wire with the wrong material you will burn out your glow plugs. They cost quite a bit and can be difficult to remove on some tractors. I would get the correct part and be confident that I would not burn up the glow plugs.