Connect PTO shaft using pin or bolt?

/ Connect PTO shaft using pin or bolt?
Little bit of closure here...

I just hung up with Rhino technical help. He says that their term for a coiled piece of steel as a pin is a "spiral pin". A rolled pin is more like a letter "C". A tube with a slit in it.

Ok.. now we can at least get some semantics down while talking.

He says a rolled pin and not a spiral pin is indeed, the right part for this attachment point.

He also said the likely culprit was lack of grease on the shafts....(kudos to Soundguy!!)

He said it wasn't important to keep that shaft greased....he said that it was VERY important. I'm guilty of grease abandonment there :(.

he said some dirt will get in there and cause it to stick a little bit and just a little friction in there will cause the shaft to slowly saw back/forth and cut through the pin, just like what happened.

New pin should be here next Tuesday.... if they're successful at the auction this weekend then I'll have the part to fix the mower just in time to have no tractor to attach it to! :rolleyes:

/ Connect PTO shaft using pin or bolt? #22  
New pin should be here next Tuesday.... if they're successful at the auction this weekend then I'll have the part to fix the mower just in time to have no tractor to attach it to! :rolleyes:

It's not exactly getting the cart before the horse, but...

/ Connect PTO shaft using pin or bolt? #23  
OK i dont know where the guy in rhino learned his stuff but the correct name for that pin according to the US Navy and the US Air Force is a roll pin.(the one that looks like you took a piece of steel and rolled it up to the correct diameter and it has layers) The correct name for the one with the cut is a split pin. Either way you are going to be sure to get the correct part. If it is a split pin you can get those at any hardware store if you need one before rhino sends you one. the cost pennies to buy.

/ Connect PTO shaft using pin or bolt? #24  
Interestingly enough a split pin is what holds the yoke on my star shaft direct from john deer. I'd check the length of the shaft.. and then get it cleaned..

soundguy

/ Connect PTO shaft using pin or bolt? #25  

Attachments

• split pin.gif
    split pin.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 259
  • roll_pin.gif
    roll_pin.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 164
also lube that shaft..

Another tidbit as to why I never (thought) to lube the shaft, other than simple stupidity....:rolleyes:

There isn't any grease zerk on it like the manual shows.

Remember me saying something about the brother in law shortening the shaft...... guess which end the zerk was apparently on? (big oops!!!!!)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I greased it by hand yesterday when I put it back together.

/ Connect PTO shaft using pin or bolt? #27  
Might be worth your while to drill/tap for a shallow zerk one of these days.

Luckilly the shafts on my deer mower hav ethe zerk half way up the sahft.. thus no chance to cut them off..

soundguy

I thought about that, so lemme ask you a question if I may.

Since this is a star shaft, you can argue that each 'cupped' section is a bit excluded from it's next door neighbor.

If I put a zerk in the middle, jam some grease in there, will it tend to fill that long "shaft" part of the star or will it work its way around the circumference of the shaft?

part II: Thinking it might work into the shaft BUT slowly, any merit in putting a zerk in on the opposite side also? Sort of ooze the grease in from two directions??

/ Connect PTO shaft using pin or bolt? #29  
IMHO.. there is clearane all arounf the star inner shaft.. not much. but some.. the grease will find its way.

Ever leave a sealed grease tube in yor tool box n the back of your truck.. forget about it and then 2 weeks later open the tool box... everything has grease on it by then...

soundguy

/ Connect PTO shaft using pin or bolt? #30  
If I were you, I'd throw the mower in with the tractor at auction. These are 2 headaches caused by inattention, carelessness and abuse. Just like a bad marriage, its time to swallow your pride and cut it loose. Too many "in-law" references. Buy something else and don't loan it out to anyone or let them even watch you run the machinery. Neither a borrower nor a lender be, with emphasis on "lender"....