Hydraulic Hoses--Are They Expensive In Your Area?

/ Hydraulic Hoses--Are They Expensive In Your Area? #21  
Had two hoses made up this morning....(

Being in a hurry is expensive. You may want to consider buying hoses in
fixed lengths from a place like SurplusCntr and having your hose shop
cut it and put only ONE fitting on it.

I just had a bunch of hoses made up. For example, I bought a 1/4"
2-wire Jones hose (5500psi WP) that was about 7 feet long with 2 JIC
female fittings on it. It was $18 or so. The hose shop put -4 JICs on it
for about $6 each. I also got some nice 1/4" 1-wire Parker hose (2750psi)
from SurpCntr.....it is very hard to find 1/4" hoses at shops around here.

The last 90-deg fitting I had put on a hose was over $15. Now I just
go with straight and get a 90-deg adapter (1.50 at Discount Hyd Hose).

/ Hydraulic Hoses--Are They Expensive In Your Area? #22  
Being in a hurry is expensive. You may want to consider buying hoses in
fixed lengths from a place like SurplusCntr and having your hose shop
cut it and put only ONE fitting on it.

I just had a bunch of hoses made up. For example, I bought a 1/4"
2-wire Jones hose (5500psi WP) that was about 7 feet long with 2 JIC
female fittings on it. It was $18 or so. The hose shop put -4 JICs on it
for about $6 each. I also got some nice 1/4" 1-wire Parker hose (2750psi)
from SurpCntr.....it is very hard to find 1/4" hoses at shops around here.

The last 90-deg fitting I had put on a hose was over $15. Now I just
go with straight and get a 90-deg adapter (1.50 at Discount Hyd Hose).
If I can find a shop that will crimp my fittings to my hoses, then that's what I'll do. I haven't asked yet because right now I don't have the need, but next hose I need I think I'll got to DHH and get all the pieces and then have the hoses made.

Wedge

/ Hydraulic Hoses--Are They Expensive In Your Area? #23  
I've been doing exactly as Dave. I buy my hoses and have the local hydraulic shop put on one end. I've made projects where I cut the hose in half and use both after getting the one end put on each one. I get my hoses at DH or Agri Supply ... depending. In town, there are several good hydraulic shops with not only SAE fittings, but Metric too. They are a pleasure to work with.

/ Hydraulic Hoses--Are They Expensive In Your Area? #25  
Your numbers are way low all the way around, especially on the psi.

Oleozz, that is not a terrible price. It's no deal, but you didn't get raped. BTW, there is no such thing as the "usual" fittings.

Prices also vary depending on customer's attitude. :)

IMHO, charging labor for a hose is like charging labor to put a case of oil on the shelf.

I got questioned today on my prices, the guy told me my prices were high. I drive a Ford Ranger, almost no options. I can't afford any better. He pulls up in a $51,000 King Ranch Ford F-350. He's a local contractor. It gets kind of tiring all these guys pulling up in these high dollar vehicles telling me I charge too much when I can't afford what they drive.

Those types annoy me. Maybe he should submit a business plan to you, and see what his results are.

Some people just don't realize YOU HAVE TO EAT TOO!!

/ Hydraulic Hoses--Are They Expensive In Your Area? #26  
If I can find a shop that will crimp my fittings to my hoses, then that's what I'll do. I haven't asked yet because right now I don't have the need, but next hose I need I think I'll got to DHH and get all the pieces and then have the hoses made.

I have not tried that. I always buy the crimp fittings from the hose shop.
I can see the shop refusing to do the crimping if you don't buy the hose
and/or the fitting from them. Compatibility betw the fitting and the crimper
is an issue, too.

The shop I used for 15y was recently bought out and they now refuse to
put any of their fittings on my new hoses. So they lost all of my biz. The
place I go to now has multi-tier pricing which can make a single crimp
fitting cost $6, all the way up to $20. Ya gotta ask for the better pricing.

/ Hydraulic Hoses--Are They Expensive In Your Area? #27  
I have not tried that. I always buy the crimp fittings from the hose shop.
I can see the shop refusing to do the crimping if you don't buy the hose
and/or the fitting from them. Compatibility betw the fitting and the crimper
is an issue, too.

The shop I used for 15y was recently bought out and they now refuse to
put any of their fittings on my new hoses. So they lost all of my biz. The
place I go to now has multi-tier pricing which can make a single crimp
fitting cost $6, all the way up to $20. Ya gotta ask for the better pricing.

There is a huge liability issue of putting one brand crimp on another brand hose. Any shop that does it is playing with fire. If you have it done, you are playing with fire too. I have a hose here in my shop that I keep for display. It is an Alfa-Gomma hose with a Weatherhead fitting crimped on it. A competitor of mine used the Alfa-Gomma hose because it has the same 100R spec and it is cheaper than Weatherhead. Well when the customer installed the hose, as soon as he hit the lever, the hose pulled out of the crimp and spun and snapped like a bullwhip just missing his face. He came to me with the hose. I measured the crimp and it was within spec for that 100R # of hose. I made him a proper hose and he has not had a problem. Even though the 100R # is the same doesn't mean it will work.

I absolutely refuse to crimp my fittings on anything but the hose it was made for. If someone told me to do it or I would lose their business I guess I would remove them from my Christmas card list.

Now I'll tell you why a lot of you guys are unhappy with your local hose pricing. Here is what I see anyway. As soon as a guy walks in and he asks "how much per foot for 1/2" hose?" I know it's trouble. As soon as he asks for better pricing, I know it's trouble. If you come in and tell me that you can get it cheaper off the internet then I will ask you why you are even here. When you come in, tell me that you're a one man show with a tractor to run around the property with and I'll probably cut you a good break. Be friendly, not combative. Ask all the questions you like. We will usually take the time and explain anything and maybe even suggest a cheaper alternative. A guy asked me about pressure washer hose today and I told him I could do it but he is better off going to Home Depot for it. Here's my whole point. Be nice to us and chances are we will be nice to you.

/ Hydraulic Hoses--Are They Expensive In Your Area? #28  
Had two hoses made up this morning, one 4.5 ft and the other 5 ft. Both were 1/2 inch two braid hoses and had the usual fittings on each end, bill was almost $100!! You could have knocked me over with a feather. Sometimes I get tired of being the low man on the food chain.:(
Must admit that i am an off the shelf hose guy for cost and convenience. northern tool, tractor supply co dhh even harbor freight. yes npt and limited sizes/lengths only but couplings and end adapters are cheap.

Theo

/ Hydraulic Hoses--Are They Expensive In Your Area? #29  
That's a nice anecdote, but one would be hard pressed to buy 5 gallons of name brand hydraulic oil for $40 today, let alone a 4 foot hydraulic hose as well.

Good Evenin Rick,
Well I cant very well argue about todays oil prices, or for that matter anything manufactured from oil today.I made a mistake on the amount of oil ! It was 2 1/2 gal container ! But I stand by what I said about the price, in fact I looked it up and it was $38 and change. One 4ft section of hose and two fittings plus 2 1/2 gals of hydraulic oil. :confused: Sorry about the typo ! :) Oh yes 3 1/2 years ago !