How to recharge an Optima battery?

/ How to recharge an Optima battery? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I've got an industrial backhoe (JCB) that over the 8 years or so of ownership, has never really been kind to batteries. Through a mix of low use (as homeowner) and perhaps an unknown issue in the charging system, it never keeps a battery charged. (the alternator HAS been checked out as ok)

So...be it as it may... I last bought a red topped Optima just to see how it would work. Salesman said it would keep a charge longer (ha)

The thing is probably no more than 6/8 months old.

Ok, so I tried starting backhoe with jumper cables from car AND also tried a different tractor (that has TWO batteries connected to it) and nothing there worked.

I yanked the Optima out and put it on charger.

Truthefully, I did this a couple days ago and yesterday, after being on the charger overnight, it didn't even "click" my solenoid.

Yesterday, after this happened, is when I tried to jump with other car and other tractor.

When that failed, I put back on charger.

The first time I did it, I had the switch on "gel" as I recall and now, I've got it on manual.

I had the other switch (the first time) on 2 amp and now I think I have it on 10 (or is it 20)... either way, I upped the amps.

I did this last night.

This morning, I was SUPPOSED to see a green light on my charger saying all was well and instead, I had the red light which I think means, nothing happened.

How on earth, did I screw up charging a battery?? OR, do these work on a charger the same way?

Should I just get another battery again?

/ How to recharge an Optima battery? #2  
Stupid question alert!

You didn't hook the + to the - did you? They won't charge like that.

Stupid question alert ends!

Ok, have you put a meter on the battery? If you deep discharged the battery it may have fried, but that's hard to do with a gel battery. When you are charging, what voltage does the meter read? What is the discharge rate when you stop charging? does it go from 14.5v to 10v quick or from 14.5 to 14.2? etc.

One thing you should do is get a battery disconnect. Either from a marine store or speed shop. Then, a quick twist and the battery is isolated and will hold charge for a long long time.

Or you should find out where the short is in the tractor. Or even do both.

jb

/ How to recharge an Optima battery? #3  
Richard, an Optima battery is a "SLA" which stands for Sealed Lead Acid. It is no different from a normal lead-acid battery. It is NOT a gel-cel battery. The biggest problem as I see it is that you have completely discharged a battery that is not a deep cycle battery. The Optima yellow-tops are deep cycle (read "much more expensive"). Your red-top is just for starting like a car battery and is probably "toast" since it has been completely discharged.

As JB suggested, you should read the voltage on the battery, but don't be surprised if it doesn't take a "surface" charge and read 13.8 volts until you put a load on it. Any significant load will make it go to zero or very near zero.

I think you need a new Optima or other deep cycle battery or a disconnect like John Bud suggested. I'll bet your current Red-top Optima is no good.:(

/ How to recharge an Optima battery? #4  
Richard,

Bring it back should be covered under warranty and while your at it upgrade to the yellow like jinman suggested.

The salesman should of know better.

That's what I would do.

/ How to recharge an Optima battery? #5  
Or you should find out where the short is in the tractor. Or even do both.

jb

+1

I vote for warranty replacing that battery, finding the short AND fitting the isolator switch.

Could even fit a $50 solar panel "trickle charger" to the battery to keep it topped if your machine sits outdoors and idle for prolonged periods.

/ How to recharge an Optima battery?
You didn't hook the + to the - did you? They won't charge like that.

Not a stupid question at all... (as one who's done that before). I double checked and everything was hooked up properly.

Now, I should mention in all fairness.... couple days ago, when I went out to start the backhoe, I DID find that some DUFAS had left the ignition key in the 'on' position. Since I live 15 miles out of town and my next nearest neighbor is a mile away, I'm not sure WHO the DUFAS was, but if I ever catch that DUFAS who left the key turned on, he's in for a nice can of whup hiney!!

:rolleyes:

As JB suggested, you should read the voltage on the battery, but don't be surprised if it doesn't take a "surface" charge and read 13.8 volts until you put a load on it. Any significant load will make it go to zero or very near zero.

Thanks for clarifying the red/yellow. I thought I was getting the heavier battery.

While trying to jump start this yesterday, I turned the lights on and they blazed in full glory. The instant I hit the ignition switch, it was as though that process hit the lights off switch. They died like a fingersnap and had NO residual glow that I could see. It was an immediate lights out for them. I got to thinking at that point, that it might be bad news for this red headed stepchild I've been trying to electrocute with the tractor.

General question .... would a yellow top Optima be a 'better' battery than a generic auto/truck type battery? (the older traditional style with perhaps, the plugs on top for fluid level check)

:confused:

As for the trickle charger, I've actually been wanting to get one of those for a long time now (about 3 batteries ago :D) and keep letting it slip my mind and not doing it.

/ How to recharge an Optima battery? #10  
It was an immediate lights out for them. I got to thinking at that point, that it might be bad news for this red headed stepchild I've been trying to electrocute with the tractor.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a bad connection on the batt. term. if you hooked the charger to the cable end, without touching the post, that would also explain the no charging.
jm