cub cadet panel repair

/ cub cadet panel repair #1  

harleyizy

Bronze Member
Tractor
GTX2154LE
has anyone attempted to repair the plastic nose pieces on a Cub Cadet? specifically, i have a 1541 with cracks in the lower grille. i have considered patching with fiberglass but i am open to suggestions. everything i see on the internet is not better than what i have already.

/ cub cadet panel repair #2  
You can patch them although without additional support or plating it will not hold for long. Then you have the looks, I'd imagine you should be able to find a used one if new is to much.

/ cub cadet panel repair #3  
I have no idea if it would work, but maybe it will stir someone else who actually knows...the auto body shops repair plastic bumpers. Could they possibly make the repair for you?

I'm assuming this is out of warranty.

/ cub cadet panel repair #4  
I have tried plastic welders and on somthings they are ok. The hardest part is trying to figure out what type of plastic you have. There are alot of different fillers. I would scuff it up with course sadpaper and use epoxy for plastic.
Bill

/ cub cadet panel repair #5  
I'd use some thin strips of metal and some epoxy putty from the backside to stabilize it, then filler in the front of the crack, after v-cutting a bit.. then sand nd repaint.

soundguy

/ cub cadet panel repair #6  
I've used a product made by 3M for repairing plastic bumpers on cars. Don't recall the product name. It's an epoxy based filler. Works great and lasts until you hit something again. Don't ask.
If it's fiberglass then get some fiberglass repair mat and resin (Walmart) and fix it up. You can use regular body putty on the surface to fill any voids and then give it a coat of paint.

/ cub cadet panel repair #7  
To do a proper repair, one that does not depend on luck, you first need to determine what type of plastic your dealing with. Here are the common ones:

Type 1.
True fibergalss
Usually only used on watercraft anymore. Rough on the inside, with visible "hairs" (strands of fiberglass). This is typical fiberglass. you can use fiberglass cloth & resin, or cloth & epoxy. I recommend the later.

Type 2.
SMC
This is what is used on all hard, (inflexible), painted plastic parts on cars today. Smooth on the inside with a swirl effect in the unpainted areas, and barely detectable fiberglass strands inside. Rough up areas of repair, and use SMC repair products, (similar to bondo), or epoxy, and fiberglass cloth, (on the inside). Bondo can be used, but only for cosmetic repairs.

Type 3.
Polypropylene
Flexible, smooth, and except in automotive applications, usually unpainted on both sides, cast in color, with color all the way through, smooth or slightly textured on inside. These are the most difficult to repair because of oils used to prevent sticking during the molding process. The product needs to be treated after initial scuffing, sanding of immediate repair area, to remove release agents, or repair material will not stick. Passing a lit propane torch over the area several times usually is the quickest way to remove the oils. DO NOT HEAT the plastic beyond 400F, damage will start to occur. Repair with flexible repair epoxy, and back up the inside with fiberglass cloth or sheet metal, and epoxy. If painting previously unpainted plastic, the areas being painted need to be treated and a special adhesion promoter, along with flexible primers, and finishes.

Type 4.
PVC, ABS
Just like the pipe, PVC is usually white, ABS is usually black. These are commonly, and easily painted. Rigid plastic, softens when being wiped with a solvent. After scuffing up the repair area, use rigid plastic repair epoxy, and use fiberglass cloth, and epoxy on the inside to back up.

Since most of the professional plastic repair epoxies require a special very expensive gun to mix them, you can go to NAPA and other parts stores, and get a gas tank repair kit that contains epoxy and fiberglass cloth for around $12. These work great for doing small home plastic repairs, they also work great on gas tanks.

Consider taking the piece to a local body shop and get a professional assessment, and price for a repair. We often did these jobs as a customer courtesy in lieu of future business.

Last edited:
   / cub cadet panel repair #8  
I have used epoxy on the inside. you need to used epoxy that match the plastic and follow the direction to the letter.

/ cub cadet panel repair #9  
I have used epoxy on the inside. you need to used epoxy that match the plastic and follow the direction to the letter.

I agree...

if I had to take everything I own that was broken to a shop for a professional estimate and repair.. i'd have run out of money decades ago.

this is a no-brainer fix it yourself on the cheap and ez type job.

Today's epoxy's make for a great repair medium across a HUGE range of materials. add some stiffners and braces.. fill, sand, pint and go.. a steady hand and good paint and you may never know it was broke without looking on the inside. I've done a 'seamless' repair like this many times.

soundguy