My 1-wire alternator experience

/ My 1-wire alternator experience #1  

Trisor63

After my alternator died on my Jinma 284 I started doing some research. I found a thread here about converting to a delco 10si or 12si. It sounded good to me so I bought 3 wire 10si. The thread discussed the differences between 3 and 1 wire. And a few people said the one wire would excite right away at idle...no problem. So to simplify the wiring I converted the 3 wire to a one wire. The install was pretty straight forward. For the record, my one wire did not excite until I hit 1800 RPM or so. Once I did it was fine at idle but did not excite until I hit 1800 RPM. So basically I think the 3 wire would be better on a tractor. I wish I would have listened to Soundguy.

Other install notes on my Jinma: I had to grind a bit on the alternator pivot since it was too tight. I am able to use the same belt. I made a mock-up bracket from a piece of straight aluminum I had laying around. I used 10 gauge wire. The 10si is 63 amp.

DSCF6049.JPG

Picasa Web Albums - Tri - Tractor

/ My 1-wire alternator experience #2  
After my alternator died on my Jinma 284 I started doing some research. I found a thread here about converting to a delco 10si or 12si. It sounded good to me so I bought 3 wire 10si. The thread discussed the differences between 3 and 1 wire. And a few people said the one wire would excite right away at idle...no problem. So to simplify the wiring I converted the 3 wire to a one wire. The install was pretty straight forward. For the record, my one wire did not excite until I hit 1800 RPM or so. Once I did it was fine at idle but did not excite until I hit 1800 RPM. So basically I think the 3 wire would be better on a tractor. I wish I would have listened to Soundguy.

Other install notes on my Jinma: I had to grind a bit on the alternator pivot since it was too tight. I am able to use the same belt. I made a mock-up bracket from a piece of straight aluminum I had laying around. I used 10 gauge wire. The 10si is 63 amp.

Tractor

Tractor

Tractor

Picasa Web Albums - Tri - Tractor

That's about the rpm needed. My 1964 MF-135 diesel has a 1-wire Delco alternator that needs around 1700 rpm to excite the thing. It charges the battery which is all I ask.

/ My 1-wire alternator experience #3  
Take your 1-wire alternator to a GOOD auto electric shop and ask to have it set up for a lower RPM "cut out". I've got one that's a spare I use on various tractors when I'm working on a generator/alternator issue. It excites at approx. 800 rpm.

/ My 1-wire alternator experience #4  
I had a 1 wire that wouldn't excite until 2000 or so. Just pulled the black cap, found there was a spot for the extra wires so it's now a 3 wire exciting from idle.

jb

/ My 1-wire alternator experience #5  
There is an additional post on the delco 10 alternator which I am told is the connection for the rpm's on the Jinma 284.. I am modifying the tension arm so the delco alternator will fit and will let you know about the rpm connection. Frustrating to say the least. you have to un-install the radiator to remove the alternator!!

/ My 1-wire alternator experience #6  
as i have posted here before high speed cut on has nothing to do with tractor make it has to do with air gap between the rotor and stator have seen rebuilds that would not at all but could excite reg and it would work to low rpms came back.
call your local rebuilder if you have one ask for wai/transpo part d10ac it is a medium task to install but can be done if they cant supply let me know have in stock with shipping about $10.00 this will allow regulator to kick in about 500rpm.
also not unusal to see new china built unit not working because they dont understand air gap either if you buy part get instruction sheet

/ My 1-wire alternator experience #7  
   / My 1-wire alternator experience #8  
from the picture in post 1 that looks to be quite a large pulley on that alt. It could be that the alternator is turning slower than its designed due to the pulley ratios being off, a smaller pulley might be whats needed. My local auto elec shop has different pulleys in stock.