5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #131  
I went and looked at the local WallyWorld. Saw that all the squeeze handle Blitz cans. Also read on teh can that the only legal governing authority is the EPA.

Then I looked up the Eagle manufacturing web page and looked at their cans. They do offer a plastic type with a built in funnel. Don't know if that would help the hand impaired. I have used their metal cans in years past (with built in latch/cap handle). Not too awful to use as I recall, though you have to re-think using them versus the non-mechanical cap opener (lid?).

Probably have to get them through an industrial or online outfit (or, if yo have a real hardware store they could order one for you).

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #132  
All this explains why I can't find a good can here in Wyoming anymore! If Blitz doesn't make them.... I have resorted to using the Culligan 5 gal. water bottles, and about eight feet of fuel hose with a 12v. in-line fuel pump. The pump came off an old blazer I had when I didn't feel like dropping the gas tank to replace the pump. The long hose works great, I no longer have to lift cans up further than the truck bed.

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #133  
Forgot, as for filling up the water bottles that are not approved, nobody seems to care at all. I used to make sure the truck was between me and the store, but nowadays, I just go to the easiest pump. Maybe that's a Wyoming thing, where our State government has a little bit of common sense left.

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #134  
For all of you concerned about getting them filled. The old ones are not banned from use, only from new sales. You can still fill up the old metal GI style cans without problems.

Besides, unless you are in NJ, who uses full service anymore? The folks working at the gas station could care less what you are putting gas in as long as it's a gas can. They certainly aren't going to come out to the pump to make sure you have the right kind of nozzle on it.

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #135  
For all of you concerned about getting them filled. The old ones are not banned from use, only from new sales. You can still fill up the old metal GI style cans without problems.

Besides, unless you are in NJ, who uses full service anymore? The folks working at the gas station could care less what you are putting gas in as long as it's a gas can. They certainly aren't going to come out to the pump to make sure you have the right kind of nozzle on it.

I don't know about NJ, but the last time I was in Oregon, I forgot about their state law and started to put gas in my pickup and got thoroughly bawled out by a mentally challenged young man whose job was pumping the gas. It wasn't full service because he did nothing but hold the gas nozzle and stopped at least 5 gallons before getting the tank full.

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #136  
I don't know about NJ, but the last time I was in Oregon, I forgot about their state law and started to put gas in my pickup and got thoroughly bawled out by a mentally challenged young man whose job was pumping the gas. It wasn't full service because he did nothing but hold the gas nozzle and stopped at least 5 gallons before getting the tank full.

Do you think the young man was "mentally challenged", as you so succinctly put it, because he worked in a gas station? I too worked in a gas station as a youth, and I'm not "mentally challenged"...
Further, I give folks that are "mentally challenged" in this society much credit for trying to cope in a world where people look down on them...
Some folks here may just have "mentally challenged" family members... It might be nice to offer them a modicum of respect...

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #137  
Do you think the young man was "mentally challenged", as you so succinctly put it, because he worked in a gas station?

Certainly not because he worked in a gas station. I, too, worked in a gas station for 3 years. However, at the time I started to put gas in my pickup, I'd forgotten about the Oregon law. And I think if you check into the history of that law, you'll find that their legislators used two reasons for having a law to prevent "self service" service stations. One reason was that they claimed some of the ladies didn't want to get their hands dirty and have the odor of gasoline or diesel on their hands. The other reason was to provide employment for otherwise unemployable persons.

The young man I was talking about was most obviously "mentally challenged" by whatever term you wish to use. And yes, it's good that people, such as him, are able to find employment. But in my opinion, his mental handicap was no excuse for his rude, belligerent behavior. I suppose that was one of the few times in his life that he got to feel superior to someone else, and I didn't say anything back to him because he was so obviously mentally challenged. In fact, I felt that it was dangerous for him to be fueling vehicles.

But I also think, if you're going to have a law prohibiting self service and make fuel more expensive in order to hire otherwise unemployable persons, you should also be able to at least teach them to clean a windshield and display a bit of common courtesy. And I certainly do respect people who are able to work for a living, regardless of any mental or physical handicap.

However, I may be wandering into the realm of politics, and I don't want to do that.

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #138  
I didnt interpret that in any negative manner.
Anyways though< I had never heard of the laws that self serve was not alowed.Intersting, and I agree around my parts. they dont really car Ive seen people using milk jugs.
Also once at Home Depot saw someone try to use a Dunkin donut cup (styrofoam) for a funnel
LOL
butin their defence I guess if you never tried it you wouldnt know.I think back and I figure that I most likly did that as a kid and learned lol
(it just melts away)