Antifreeze

/ Antifreeze #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
I was getting the big green sexy (98 JD 1070 600 +/- hours) ready for this next blast of snow last and noticed I was a bit low on antifreeze. Not much, but low. I did notice a couple of weeks ago a wiff of antifreeze. Head gasket issue maybe? It doesn't overheat at all.

/ Antifreeze #2  
Look for visible leaks and watch your level. A bit of loss isn't unusual, but if it's losing more rapidly it should be addressed.

/ Antifreeze #3  
I think we'd need more information. Does the tractor have a coolant recovery jug? If so, are you talking about it being low in that jug, or low in the radiator itself? If there is no coolant recovery jug, then it's quite possible it's entirely normal. If you fill a radiator plumb full, as the liquid heats, it expands and pushes some out. As it cools, it contracts, and the level is low, probably one to two inches below the full level.

/ Antifreeze #4  
I think we'd need more information. Does the tractor have a coolant recovery jug? If so, are you talking about it being low in that jug, or low in the radiator itself? If there is no coolant recovery jug, then it's quite possible it's entirely normal. If you fill a radiator plumb full, as the liquid heats, it expands and pushes some out. As it cools, it contracts, and the level is low, probably one to two inches below the full level.

Good advice here. Over the years I have learned most of these problems are not real problems but in the range of normal. More info needed to narrow things down. That's an "older" tractor likely with original hoses, cap. ect, so lots of places for mischief.
Note to self: one teaspoon of A/F can kill your dog or cat.
;

/ Antifreeze
Sorry for lack of info. It does have a reserve, and it's only about 1/2 below the low mark. I didn't think it was anything too serious, but I looked it over and didn't find any leaks. Just want to stay proactive on it because my whole world would stop if she was down. The main thing I was concerned about was smelling the coolant. I'll bring it up to level and keep an eye on it.

/ Antifreeze #6  
You can always pressure test the system. You'll have to get, or borrow a pressure tester. Attach it to the radiator in place of the cap and pump it up. Trouble is, you'll have to know the spec limits for leakdown to see if you have a problem or not. Might be in a shop manual?

/ Antifreeze #7  
Check all of your hose clamps. Alot of times they will weep when its cold but as soon as the engine warms up they will seal.
Bill

/ Antifreeze #8  
One other thing to check. If your coolant level continuosly seems to drop and there's no external sign of a leak, check the underside of the oil filler cover for antifreeze condensation. Our pickup had a leak in the intake manifold that let coolant into the oil. Like a fool I kept filling the coolant tank thinking it was normal, 'till the engine spun a bearing. If you suspect that, you can get an oil analysis kit from napa to check for contamination.

/ Antifreeze #9  
Don't go worrying over whifs of antifreeze. Just take note of them and maybe find out where they're coming from. In many cases, they'll seal themselves up. Long time ago, one of the valves on the heater in the 1983 Benz gave out a whif when the lever was moved. It stopped a long time ago with nothing being done on my part. More recently, the radiator developed some very tiny leaks around the metal/plastic seam at the bottom. It stopped and is still stopped about a year later. If the whif seepage develops into a stream, then you need to fix it.

Ralph

/ Antifreeze #10  
That's an "older" tractor likely with original hoses, cap. ect, so lots of places for mischief.
;

older? Naw.. that's just a young'n!

soundguy