New Holland Ford 1700 Shibaura Hydraulic Question

/ New Holland Ford 1700 Shibaura Hydraulic Question #1  

reshoppe

Sorry if this is in the wrong section or if it is a stupid question, in general sorry for my newbie(ness) Anyways I have a New Holland Ford 1700 Shibaura Tractor and the hydraulics worked fine last year even when it was cold, now they do not work at all. I get no action from any of the controls it is now -1 C (30 F) or so and they still do not operate. I don't know if it is possible there is ice somewhere in the system or what, I thought for sure when it was above zero or close to it, the system should work. I'm sorry but this is my first tractor and I do not have very much experience with hydraulics, if there is some common tricks that could be used then I would be very grateful for some help in doing them or perhaps a link to a relevant thread as my searching did not turn up useful help, perhaps because I generally do not use message boards either. I would be so happy for any and all hints. Thanks.

/ New Holland Ford 1700 Shibaura Hydraulic Question #2  
It is probably ice. Do a search on the NH forum. We have covered this quite a few times.
Bill

/ New Holland Ford 1700 Shibaura Hydraulic Question
Well sorry if I was not clear in my previous post, I thought that I had said that I tried searching and did not find what I thought to be a satisfactory specific answer. From reading the forum posts it seemed that the users were intelligent enough to give me a quick answer. It saddens me that this forum appears to be full of experts and there is no room for people who are not experts (like me) I don't know how I am supposed to gain any useful knowledge that I can pass on to others if I cannot figure out my own question. I said I tried searching, if it is so common a question would it be possible to please give me a link to a relevant forum topic that would answer my questions? (As I am far too much of a computer novice to do a search myself) Heck I don't even know which tractors utilize similar components and since I cannot get the hydraulics up I cannot take it to a repair shop to have them thaw out the system and replace the fluid. Anyways I apologize for my inexperience, if anyone would like to welcome me to the forum with a helpful link I would be very grateful. If not sorry for wasting your time with such a simple question that I do not know the answer to but apparently should.

/ New Holland Ford 1700 Shibaura Hydraulic Question #4  
Don't get your panties in a bunch if you don't get a detailed response in 4 hours and 24 minutes. Most of us have lives outside the TBN community.

Your suction screen is PROBABLY plugged. You will need to drain the hydraulic oil. Then remove the banjo bolt attaching the hydraulic suction tube to the suction screen which is bolted to the rear axle center section. Remove the 4 bolts and the screen. Clean or replace the screen and reinstall it using a new gasket. You probably should replace the two o-rings on the banjo bolt. Depending on the condition of the oil, replace it as well. Use New Holland 134D hydraulic oil or an oil meeting that specification.

You can order manuals here:
https://www.newhollandtechpubs.com/

You can see parts diagrams here:
https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php

I got a response, I was just disappointed because I believed that I asked politely and thought that a member that says in his profile he is a mechanic could have used a bit more of his knowledge to provide an answer. For the record I do not wear panties I wear tighty whiteys. Your response was very intelligent and helpful I appreciate it very much, now I have things to check to see if it the problem. I apologize for my naiveness but I am 62 years old and I do not have enough time left in my life to try and work the internet because it was difficult enough to figure out how to use the site as it is. I apologize if I have offended anybody but I read some of the posts on this site and seriously thought that it would be no problem for the people on this site to solve my problem because I believed that it would be easy for someone who knew how this tractor worked to sort out the problem, perhaps I am wrong so sorry again. Every person has different levels of knowledge I thought that perhaps we could all respect that and talk intelligently if that is a foolish belief then I weep for humanity. In closing now that I know what to check I will go about searching for where this suction screen is located and how I would go about cleaning it. Thank you.

/ New Holland Ford 1700 Shibaura Hydraulic Question #6  
Reshoppe, I had a 1700, and when the hydraulics quit working, it was always the screen filter. It's on the right side of the tranny, there will be a long metal tube that has a flange that bolts to the tranny. The tube goes up to the front of the tractor to the hydraulic pump. If you can find a shop manual for the tractor, it should cover cleaning the screen filter. Good luck.

Thank you so much for that advice I will check out that screen filter right away. Also I do think getting a manual for the tractor would be very worthwhile but it probably takes a few weeks to get one shipped nevertheless I will get one so I don't have to ask such simplistic questions. I am sincerely grateful for all the help and will get back to all of you when I have found the problem, which I'm sure I can now find. :D:D:D

/ New Holland Ford 1700 Shibaura Hydraulic Question #8  
Reshoppe, At the time I made my post I had somewhere to go. I was trying to point you in the right direction to get some info. in case no one else responded right away. I guess I should have ignored the post until I had time to give you a detailed explanation. Rick gave you the answer to your problem.
Bill

Last edited: