Allis Chalmers 8030 parts?

/ Allis Chalmers 8030 parts? #1  

Kfbeal

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 JD 5103
We have an Allis Chalmers 8030 with cab that has a tapping issue in the engine area. I finished cutting some hay this past year and it started tapping fairly loud so I hurried and shut it down. On low RPM it isn't bad but on a higher RPM it gets pretty loud.

I was wondering if anyone has any of the late model Allis Chalmers and where they get parts should I need to? Preferably in Texas is possible. Some have said it may be an injector issue but I'm worried it's deeper such as valves or connecting rods, etc.

We had a rod come through the block on one of our 7045's several years ago so I'm reluctant to run it very long. I need someone to start it so I can try to hear where the noise is coming from to verify.

/ Allis Chalmers 8030 parts? #2  
Unless it's the pin is hashed on the piston(s) which is less common in my experience then you would have to have a bad or spun bearing on the crankshaft for the connecting rods to make a noise. Generally your oil pressure changes greatly when this happens because the bearing physically moves and blocks an oil port. Usually you lose oil pressure, but it is possible that your oil pressure could sky rocket depending on where the sending unit is located on the motor. Valves are possibility. Injectors ALWAYS tick- they are what give the diesels their ticky noise. If it is a different tick noise than before and much louder(like you said) I would not bank on it being injectors. I personally would start with making sure oil pressure is near normal, and don't rely on the one already on the motor. It can go overlooked that the original guage may be seized or the sending unit bad. You can get a cheap aftermarket one for $25 bucks or so- put it on there, fire up the motor and read it. At least that can help rule out bottom end issues and catastrophic failure. I don't know much about that particular tractor- but I hope this helps!

As far as a service dealer- there is an agco dealer about 10 miles from my place, but I'm near Columbus OH so I don't think that will be of a great help to you.

ON EDIT: you can check www.agcoiron.com for dealers and service locations, that may help.

/ Allis Chalmers 8030 parts?
Thanks for the reply.

The current oil pressure indicator is a lighted panel. This model had lights for everything such as hydraulics, etc. I may try to find the sending unit and get a basic oil pressure gauge like you mention.

Do you think all the gaskets, etc. can still be ordered?

/ Allis Chalmers 8030 parts? #4  
8030s are pretty late model tractors, and if my research is correct they have the 426 inch engine. that is a very widely used engine throughout allis chalmers applications and I would have a very hard time believing they are hard to find parts for. Kind of like the old 7.3 liter international truck motors. Just because they don't make em anymore, doesn't mean they aren't being operated and serviced everyday. however, I've never bought parts for one, because I don't own one, so I don't know for sure.

/ Allis Chalmers 8030 parts? #5  
I own a AC8070 and had the engine completely rebuilt about 5 years ago. My local mechanic bought the complete rebuild kit from a jobber that specialized in these parts. I live in TN and there is only a couple of dealers around. AC has lots of dealers in northern IL, WI and MN. Your problem could be a valve not seating correctly. Have a good diesel mechanic look at your engine and do a leakdown test on each cylinder which should narrow where your problem might be.

Thanks for your replies. It has a little over 5000 hours on the original engine with no work done other than oil changes, alternators and AC compressor.

I've asked a mechanic to come out but he's yet to even show up yet. I'm just worried we'll get it torn down and not be able to find the parts to get it back together.

/ Allis Chalmers 8030 parts? #7  
My 8070 dropped a valve is why I did the rebuild. I think that these tractors were produced in the early 80s. I would not be concerned parts for these tractors are easily available. Let us know how the repair goes.

Do you recall what the rebuild kit cost? If you prefer to email or PM me that is fine if you don't mind sharing.

/ Allis Chalmers 8030 parts? #9  
Just going by memory I think that I paid $1100-$1200 for the complete rebuild kit. From that particular supplier there were 3 kits offered and we went with the kit with the most parts which included new valvetrain and more gaskets. If you need more info I will be glad to due a little record digging.

/ Allis Chalmers 8030 parts? #10  
My buddy just paid in the neighborhood of $700 for a complete kit for a 12v cummins so I assume that is a good ballpark for something similar but a little less common.