425 Starter Motor Question

/ 425 Starter Motor Question #1  

lyle425

I just had the plastic cam gear replaced on my 425 and now when I crank the engine to start it the starter motor doesn't seem to have much oomph. The battery is brand new so it has lots of cranking power, but the starter motor/gear still seems to rotate only 1 or 2 times (as if the battery is almost dead). The engine usually fires right up and it runs great, but... what's up with my starter? I wonder if I ruined it (burnt it up) trying to start the engine in vain when I (unknowingly) had a bad cam gear.

/ 425 Starter Motor Question #2  
Is a 425 a gas burner?? Is the timing adjustable?? Did the cam gear line up with the timing marks?? An engine that the timing is advanced too far will act like a weak battery or bad starter. The problem is usually worse after the engine has warmed up, can you give some more info

/ 425 Starter Motor Question
It is gas -- once the engine is warmed up, it seems to start fine. When it's cold, it seems like the starter just "rolls over" once or twice and then quits, then I have to turn the key again... the engine usually fires up..but I'm not getting the good cranking I get when it's warm.

low 20s and teens .....looking to get much colder later this week

/ 425 Starter Motor Question #6  
I just had the plastic cam gear replaced on my 425 and now when I crank the engine to start it the starter motor doesn't seem to have much oomph. The battery is brand new so it has lots of cranking power, but the starter motor/gear still seems to rotate only 1 or 2 times (as if the battery is almost dead). The engine usually fires right up and it runs great, but... what's up with my starter? I wonder if I ruined it (burnt it up) trying to start the engine in vain when I (unknowingly) had a bad cam gear.

How about explaining what a 425 is.

John Deere 425 Lawn and Garden Tractor, 20HP Kawasaki Twin Engine, 933 hours.

/ 425 Starter Motor Question #8  
Presuming you have winter weight oil, did tune up and all those normal preparations before cold weather.

Are you refering to a camshaft gear? if so might not be timed to the crank correctly.
Generally there should be some alignment points/marks to assure correct timeing.

Once running, is the power as it should be? or RPMs off and generally 'not normal', if so I'd suggest the timeing is off a cog or two.
Way off can even cause backfires.

For sure I'd talk to the dealer that did the work.

/ 425 Starter Motor Question #9  
Check battery cables. Also try to jump start it with your vehicle while the tractor cables are disconnected from the tractor "new" battery. Then try to roll it over with 1 or both spark plugs removed.

Last resort is to warm it up to summer temp and see if 40 straight weight oil is in it. I doubt it left the dealer's place not starting, running, or timed incorrectly.

/ 425 Starter Motor Question #10  
Hey I have two of these 425's and I had some what the same problem as you have last summer. I removed the starter and had it rebuilt. Come to find out that after I installed the rebuilt starter, I still had the same problem, it struggeled to start or should I say did not start. I found that the battery cables from the battery to the starter had corosion on both ends and was not making a good connection or what they call as good continuity. You might try cleaning those cabel ends. Make them shine and keep them clean it will keep it running good. I also ended up replacing the computer control board and was out about 500 dollars and all it was were dirty cabels and bad connection. But I do have a new starter and circuit board so I won't have to replace them for awhile. That is the kinda luck I have. Good luck.