JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ...

/ JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ... #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
I am looking at one that has a knock, the seller says it will need a crankshaft. What can I expect that to cost to have done??

/ JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ... #2  
Call your dealer and get a price on a crank & bearings (size to be determined after machining) and call a machine shop and get a price of a line bore.
If the crank spun a main bearing then it will probably need a line bore to up size the bearing.

/ JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ... #3  
Stay away from it!!! Ask your self why did it spin a bearing. Abuse or neglect. That should tell you what the rest of the tractor is like.
Bill

/ JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ... #4  
I would stay away also. If you do get a quote on fixing it double that quote. It always cost twice as much once its opened and they find other problems.

I would have to get it for darn near free to take the risk.

Chris

/ JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ... #5  
I am looking at one that has a knock, the seller says it will need a crankshaft. What can I expect that to cost to have done??

Hi blueriver..I'm going to have to agree with the others here...
Also' I've heard stories of cylinder sleeve problems in the 950 due to engine design..so unless it's free and you've got a desire for a project......:(

/ JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ... #6  
What does the rest of the tractor look like?? How many hours?? What year?? How much is the asking price?? If the price was cheap enough and if you can do the work yourself and the tractor looks ok otherwise, I would say buy it.

/ JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ... #7  
I bought a JD 950 knowing it had a knock in engine for resale ,by the time I was done rebuilding engine ( new crank,bearings ,piston-sleeves,gasket set)
I ended up loosing money on it.

/ JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ... #8  
before you throw away a good tractor be sure what the knock is coming from. I had a yanmar, which jd has for engines, that only had about 300 hrs on it. all of a sudden it started to knock, bad. What had happened is that one of the rod bolts broke right at the flange oposite of the bolt. It didn't do any damage, I just replaced it and it was good as new.
If it is a rod and crank journal, you can probably get it cheap. If you can do the work after checking prices, you might be ahead of the game.

/ JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ... #9  
I got one almost free. Needs several repairs and I intend to rebuild it from the frame up as a project. Talking to the local JD dealer, parts for these are getting harder to come by. The gear cluster I need for the trans is $400 or so. Looks like I'll have almost $4000 in mine to fund the rebuild. If I was doing this for resale, think there would be a loss there if you think about your time as well. If doing for fun, I'd say go for it if the price is right and the rest of it is in good condition. I also have a Yanmar YM3000 that is almost the same tractor. The 950 will take all of my implements includeing the Koyker 160 FEL that is now on the Yanmar. In my case, my motovation goes beyond makeing a buck on the tractor, it will be utalizeing all of the yanmar implements I have. ( 10 ) The 950 has 4WD, the Yanmar doesn't. 950 is simple to work on and tough, but doing this for a profit could be a looser.
Chris

/ JD 950 ... Knock in the engine ... #10  
These have a difficult-to-access dipstick that makes it hard to check the oil so it often goes unchecked and gets low. They also have an oiling system that (and I don't fully uderstand this part) that means low oil will damage the crankshaft first.
I once looked at one and was shocked at the cost of the rebuild kit. I really wanted a short block but it had been discontinued. No decal kit either. I steered clear because of that

Last edited: