Lost 3pt pin, replace with bolt?

/ Lost 3pt pin, replace with bolt? #1  

Hookblock

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I was pushing snow with the bb and lost the the pin that connects the lower arm to the lift arm. It's a 5/8''x 2'' pin, can it be replaced with a bolt? Or just make a pin out of a bolt? And if I can, is a grade 8 the bolt to use? JD wants 14.00 for the pin, I have the bolt to make the pin. thanks

/ Lost 3pt pin, replace with bolt? #2  
personally I wouldn't feel bad using the bolt with a locknut as long as the shoulder was bearing the load as opposed to the threads tearing something up--it may be stronger than the pin not sure. I certainly would not buy the JD part rather go to TSC or Atwoods later and get a pin for a couple bucks.

good luck

/ Lost 3pt pin, replace with bolt? #3  
Grade eight in a pinch always works

/ Lost 3pt pin, replace with bolt? #4  
You can make a lot of pins from bolt for $14. A grade 5 should be as strong as a pin.
Bill

/ Lost 3pt pin, replace with bolt? #5  
Grade 5 or 8 bolt will work just fine. Lost a pin for the foldable ROP of my Kubota 3710. It was metric and Kubota wanted $45. Bought a metric bolt from implement dealer for a few bucks. Drill a hole for the key to slide in. Welded on a fancy D-ring to the head, painted and looked just like the lost one.

/ Lost 3pt pin, replace with bolt? #6  
TSC has pins for something like 4 or 5 bucks, I bought some last summer but can't remember cost for sure, but it was in that ball park

/ Lost 3pt pin, replace with bolt? #7  
Ya but isn't the JD one painted green.. Thats gotta be worth a few extra $$. :D:D:D

Wedge

/ Lost 3pt pin, replace with bolt? #8  
I use grade 8 bolts with ny-lock nuts all the time for pin replacement. They cost about $2 each.

/ Lost 3pt pin, replace with bolt?
Thanks for the help the bolt I was going to use is a grade 8. 6 in long with a 3 in shank so no threades involved. Thanks