charging battery problem on Ford 1700

/ charging battery problem on Ford 1700 #1  

Ford 1700

1983 Ford 1700 Diesel 4 wheel drive...while daydreaming late the other night, I was installing a brand new battery in my tractor. Long story short I hooked the battery up incorrectly, heard a faint pop sound & smelled a small cloud of electrical stink. The charging light is now lighting up on the dash. Please tell me what I popped and where it is located on the tractor. Is it a dealer only part or under what brand name? What retail parts establishment can I probably purchase this in Central Illinois. Thanks for your help.

/ charging battery problem on Ford 1700 #2  
Hooking up the battery backwards has possible allowed the smoke inside your alternator to escape. The bad news is that once the smoke escapes, it's almost impossible to get back in, so you'll most likely have to replace the alternator (an-or regulator). The good news is most local alternator rebuild shops could test and repair (install new smoke) in your alternator at a fraction of the cost of a new one. Also - check for any blown fuses.

/ charging battery problem on Ford 1700 #3  
There is a voltage regulator mounted on the front of the fuel tank on the right side.I would remove it and take to to an auto parts store to be tested. If you are lucky you smoked it and not the alternator.
Bill

/ charging battery problem on Ford 1700 #4  
If the charge wire from the output of the alt is not cutout protected.. which it probably ain't, and/or unless the rectifier is outboard and in the regulator like some of the other asain market dynamo's.. then the silicon inthe diode is surely bad...

soundguy

/ charging battery problem on Ford 1700 #5  
Can anyone post a wiring diagram? This is my kinda stuff. Just not familiar with your tractor or charging system.

/ charging battery problem on Ford 1700
Thank you all for your responses...so far. You all have 48 more hours to help me since I can't drive the 60 to the farm till Saturday-1/31/09. I don't have a wiring diagram...wish I did...can someone help? Thanks again...keep up your great ideas.

/ charging battery problem on Ford 1700 #7  
Thank you all for your responses...so far. You all have 48 more hours to help me since I can't drive the 60 to the farm till Saturday-1/31/09. I don't have a wiring diagram...wish I did...can someone help? Thanks again...keep up your great ideas.

This is courtesy of JC-jetro, another 1700 owner who helped me when I first got mine, I had to have my alt rebuilt, it was around $180. new was $600!

Attachments

• f1700wiringbz0.jpg
    f1700wiringbz0.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 28,631
Last edited:
   / charging battery problem on Ford 1700 #8  
1983 Ford 1700 Diesel 4 wheel drive...while daydreaming late the other night, I was installing a brand new battery in my tractor. Long story short I hooked the battery up incorrectly, heard a faint pop sound & smelled a small cloud of electrical stink. The charging light is now lighting up on the dash. Please tell me what I popped and where it is located on the tractor. Is it a dealer only part or under what brand name? What retail parts establishment can I probably purchase this in Central Illinois. Thanks for your help.

There are two type of alternator for the 1700, Hitachi and Nippon Denso and both have internal diode (rectifier bridge) to convert AC to DC. I'm afraid you might have fried the diode:(. There is a Voltage regulator behind the gas tank that is very easy to take out for access. I'll attach a pic for your use. You can check for the bad diode without Alternator disassembly. I'll try to find the post JB was talking about. Where did the smoke come from?

JC,

Alternator:

clipboard1kh6.jpg

Voltage Regulator:

dsc03618ku8.jpg

Very Long Thread, but passed the middle you'll find bunch of good info that you might find useful.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/106389-ford-1700-any-help.html

/ charging battery problem on Ford 1700 #9  
I'll bet the B circuit vreg survived... but reverse current on a diode pretty much kills it instantly..

soundguy

/ charging battery problem on Ford 1700 #10  
I'll bet the B circuit vreg survived... but reverse current on a diode pretty much kills it instantly..

soundguy

Agreed. Splitting the alternator and Diode replacement is pretty simple thing to do, only if you can your hand on one.

JC,