Sprayer tip selection

/ Sprayer tip selection #1  

Kfbeal

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 JD 5103
I have a 35' folding boom sprayer I built several years ago for spraying cotton with a 200 or so gallon tank on it which is now cut down to 26'. I need to re-work this with tips, hoses, etc. but curious as to which tips I would benefit most from.

It currently has 17 or 18 tips on it spaced on 20" centers. I will be broadcast spraying weeds, herbicide in pastures, etc. One pasture butts up next to a large plant nursery where minimal drift is required due to chance of killing millions of dollars in plants. I plan to spray Weedmaster on this one due to Yellow Nutsedge.

Anybody have suggestions on tips with minimal drift?

And how should I select my tip? Calculate my mph, gallons per minute, etc then select the tip?

I also need to purchase a new PTO roller pump. The son of the guy renting one of my pastures must have walked off with mine. After I calculate my flow I suppose I can purchase my pump based on how much flow I require with the amount of tips and pressure.

/ Sprayer tip selection #2  
On the drift, my best suggestion is to be sure to spray when breeze is blowing from the nursery to you. Also higher pressure creates smaller droplets or mist and will drift easier.

I am on dial up right now so am not testing these but look up "Hypro" and also "Teejet". One of them has a great web site for all you are asking for. I think your starting point needs to be to know how many gallons you need to spray per acre before you even begin selecting tips and such. Teejet shows two tips in my catalog that is suppose to reduce drift.

/ Sprayer tip selection
Thanks. I looked at the Teejet website a while back. The local Farmer's Coop carries those, was just curious what others have found. I plan to spray 10 gallons per acre, but unsure what speed I'll be able to travel since it won't be exactly smoothe.