Just filled tires with water

/ Just filled tires with water #1  

Kfbeal

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 JD 5103
I've been meaning to do this for quite a while but just got around to it today. We don't have the winters many of you have, so if we get a freeze normally it's 60-70 later in the day or the day after.

We've always used water, so anyone questioning me I'll tell you my family farmed since the 1800's here and always used water. ;) If it's that cold for that many days I don't plan on being on an open-cab tractor.

Anyway, I used the adaptor purchased at Tractor Supply, not the one we typically used because I couldn't find it in the barn. It took approximately 20 minutes per tire. At times, I had to take the hose off to allow air to escape. It didn't seem like holding the air relief valve helped at all.

Maybe I did it wrong? I periodically pressed the relief, some water came out and then it quit. After removing the hose twice the water was at the top of the rim and I quit there.

I recall reading other threads about different or better adaptors and was thinking to myself had I know I was going to wait this long I would have ordered one and took this one back weeks ago.

My reason for filling the tires was for weight and pulling. I have a 14' disc I want to pull early spring and this little tractor was spinning with a 5' 3-point disc when set down deep.

/ Just filled tires with water #2  
Well, it musta worked. :) I made a filler for the Kenbota rear tires. Just a simple filler. Add water, let air out, add more water, etc.

I haven't filled the big tractor tires yet. I'm still thinking (and saving) about getting all mine foam-filled. But I'll wait until the FEL is on to see how it handles. I need a few new tires first anyway.

/ Just filled tires with water
Yea, it worked but seemed slow to me. If you need the adaptor I can mail it to ya so you don't have to buy one. I recall filling some 38's on the big tractors and it didn't see to take that long.

I've considered the foam, but not the expense. ;) Where I'm at we have quite a few thorns so flats are common, the main reason I didn't go with windshield washer fluid.

Which part are you located? In Wharton County here.

/ Just filled tires with water #4  
Yeah, if it has stingers, thorns or fangs I have it! :D I'm in Atascosa County SW of San Antonio. Outside a little town called Lytle (Lye'-tul).

Don't really need a special tool but I appreciate the offer. I just used an air-inflater hooked to a hose fitting. Used water pressure to fill then just released air through the valve. It was a little slow since the valve stem passage is pretty small. I guess I could have pulled the valve and made the water fill faster but it was cheap. ;)