Gold Member
    Tractor
    2005 JD 5103

Default Just filled tires with water

I've been meaning to do this for quite a while but just got around to it today. We don't have the winters many of you have, so if we get a freeze normally it's 60-70 later in the day or the day after.

We've always used water, so anyone questioning me I'll tell you my family farmed since the 1800's here and always used water. If it's that cold for that many days I don't plan on being on an open-cab tractor.

Anyway, I used the adaptor purchased at Tractor Supply, not the one we typically used because I couldn't find it in the barn. It took approximately 20 minutes per tire. At times, I had to take the hose off to allow air to escape. It didn't seem like holding the air relief valve helped at all.

Maybe I did it wrong? I periodically pressed the relief, some water came out and then it quit. After removing the hose twice the water was at the top of the rim and I quit there.

I recall reading other threads about different or better adaptors and was thinking to myself had I know I was going to wait this long I would have ordered one and took this one back weeks ago.

My reason for filling the tires was for weight and pulling. I have a 14' disc I want to pull early spring and this little tractor was spinning with a 5' 3-point disc when set down deep.
    JD 5103, 512 FEL w/bucket, home-made front bale spear, 60" Armstrong Ag box blade, Rhino SE6 rotary mower, 5' JD 3-point disc, home-made 26'-200 gallon sprayer

Tractor
    Ford 3910, JD 420C, Kubota G32XKS

Default Re: Just filled tires with water

Well, it musta worked. I made a filler for the Kenbota rear tires. Just a simple filler. Add water, let air out, add more water, etc.

I haven't filled the big tractor tires yet. I'm still thinking (and saving) about getting all mine foam-filled. But I'll wait until the FEL is on to see how it handles. I need a few new tires first anyway.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2005 JD 5103

Yea, it worked but seemed slow to me. If you need the adaptor I can mail it to ya so you don't have to buy one. I recall filling some 38's on the big tractors and it didn't see to take that long.

I've considered the foam, but not the expense. Where I'm at we have quite a few thorns so flats are common, the main reason I didn't go with windshield washer fluid.

Which part are you located? In Wharton County here.
    JD 5103, 512 FEL w/bucket, home-made front bale spear, 60" Armstrong Ag box blade, Rhino SE6 rotary mower, 5' JD 3-point disc, home-made 26'-200 gallon sprayer

Tractor
    Ford 3910, JD 420C, Kubota G32XKS

Yeah, if it has stingers, thorns or fangs I have it! I'm in Atascosa County SW of San Antonio. Outside a little town called Lytle (Lye'-tul).

Don't really need a special tool but I appreciate the offer. I just used an air-inflater hooked to a hose fitting. Used water pressure to fill then just released air through the valve. It was a little slow since the valve stem passage is pretty small. I guess I could have pulled the valve and made the water fill faster but it was cheap.