Muffler Replacement

/ Muffler Replacement
Thank goodness!

The locals use a lot of that high temperature muffler tape around here. Unfortunately, the hole in my muffler was too big for that. The stuff does remind me of duct tape, so I may have to get some just to keep in reserve.

/ Muffler Replacement #12  
Clemson, you said that the new muffler was fitted with a section of new inlet pipe. Is it flanged properly to fit over your old pipe? If so, I'd just put an exhaust pipe clamp around it once you get the muffler in place. It may leak a little until chemistry takes over and rust fills any gaps. That should not be a problem. Many folks have been breathing dilute diesel fumes from vertical stack tractors with the only side effect being acute "tractoritis" which has symtoms of your not wanting to do anything else but tractor stuff. You'll recognize it if you get it. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif...but seriously...you will want to have the muffler held up with a good hanger (probably attached to the bottom of your foot rest. You can get perforated metal strips or purchase a muffler hanger kit at TSC or any local auto parts store. Your muffler kit may have come with one of these, but the last time I was shopping for one, I found several styles and sizes at an AutoZone store. At any rate, you don't want to let the weight of the muffler and tailpipe just hang there supported only by the pipe. If you hit some brush, you will surely rip your new muffler off your tractor. Like most every job, good preparation is the key to success. Make good measurements and cut your old pipe at the proper location and you should have no problem. Remember, your flange on your new pipe is going to overlap on the old pipe by about 1-1/2", so allow for that and cut your pipe a little longer. Good luck./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Muffler Replacement
Thanks, jinman. I have hangers on both ends of the muffler, so the unit is well-supported. As is usually the case, I found something else to work on this weekend (had to rewire the starter switch), but I will report whenever I get the muffler installed.

/ Muffler Replacement #14  
Assuming that the bolts/nuts for the old flange are rusted stuck.... this trick has always been helpful....

Cut off the bullk of the old exhaust near the flange with the stuck bolts. This gets most of the bulk and weight out of your way so you can work on freeing the bolts. I wrap the cut end in duct tape and a rag to keep from getting cut while I am trying to muscle the stuck parts loose. Exhaust systems are never in a 'convenient' place and you are usually working on your back. You're lucky though... it's not 15 degrees out right now. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Muffler Replacement
Well, the latest in the muffler replacement saga: The Stanley replacement muffler that I got from Tractor Supply Company is 0.1" too small in pipe diameter to fit up to the original Massey Ferguson exhaust pipe. I guess I will have to return it and go to the Massey Ferguson dealer for a "genuine replacement part." I could probably get various parts and pieces expanded, modified, etc., but I would be out more time and money than if I used the correct part in the first place. The TSC muffler looks good -- well-made and solid -- but it won't fit for beans!

/ Muffler Replacement #16  
I would determine if the "original" Massy pipe is really original. Or did a previous owner install a larger diameter pipe from the manifold?

Larger is nor necessarily better. There is a science to determining pipe diameter and going too large can actually hurt performance.

Assuming that the dealer who sold you the muffler selected the one the book calls for, for your model, my first assumption would be that the original pipe isn't original. That maybe the previous owner went to the local muffler shop and had a custom system built out of larger diameter pipe.

A call to the Massy Dealer's parts department should clear it up. They should be able to tell you what the pipe diameter was originally.

/ Muffler Replacement #17  
Might also check to see if the pipe is still 'in the round' and has not been deformed due to clamping, or deformations due to excessive oxidation.

Soundguy