Muffler Replacement

/ Muffler Replacement #1  

Clemson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 230
I have to replace a muffler on my MF 230 this weekend. I found the muffler (hopefully) at a TSC nearby and will pick it up tomorrow. What tools will I need? Any advice will be welcomed. I have not yet tried to get the old muffler off. The configuration on my tractor is horizontal, routed with the muffler beneath the left side foot rest. It's a diesel engine if that makes any difference.

/ Muffler Replacement #2  
Safety glasses, penetrating oil, hack saw, metal file, vice grips, patience /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Muffler Replacement #3  
For penetrating oil, get some PB Blaster.
Its amazing!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pbblaster.com/>http://www.pbblaster.com/</A>

Rover

/ Muffler Replacement #4  
Air Chisel....................................

/ Muffler Replacement #6  
Dont forget lots of duct tape and band-aids/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Muffler Replacement
You guys are killing me, and I haven't even started the job yet!

I picked up the muffler yesterday. It came with the tailpipe and about 18" of inlet pipe already attached. I guess I will have to amputate the current muffler at the proper location on the inlet piping to allow the new one to fit up. Do I need to seal the joint where I slip fit the new pipe onto the old?

Clemson

/ Muffler Replacement #8  
Everything on your exhaust system needs to be properly sealed or you will get the possibility of exhaust fumes inside the vehicle. Additionally any leaks upstream of the muffler will be quite loud and annoying too. Sometimes it is worth it to have exhaust work done at a shop with very experienced welders. Not that it cannot be done by do-it-yourselfers, (good word huh <font color=blue>yourselfers</font color=blue>), but a good welder sure can make it look easy.

/ Muffler Replacement
a) There is no "inside" on this vehicle
b) I wasn't planning to weld anything. Am I missing something?

:) Clemson

/ Muffler Replacement #10  
Sorry, I guess I was thinking about cars / trucks. I think that even on a tractor, it is best to have everything sealed pretty well all the way out to the big hole in the end of the pipe.

I suppose that you are not missing anything as long as the kit you have has the requisite clamps, pipe, etc. to install your new muffler. Again, I guess I was thinking bout trucks as many of them require welding to replace exhaust parts.