Tyre repair advice wanted

/ Tyre repair advice wanted #1  

Aussiebushman

Gold Member
Jerrong, south of Oberon in NSW, Australia
Tractor
Ford 6000
G'day from Oz. My Ford 6000 has a puncture in a 23.1.26 rear tyre and with each rim weighing over 250 Kg, removing this monster is not something I want to try for fun, especially without proper lifting gear.

The tyre itself is basically stuffed, but on a hobby farm, I cannot justify over $1200 to replace it and good second hand ones are like rocking horse poop. The tube was new only a few months ago - added when a previous puncture was repaired just before I acquired the tractor. That repair held until just last use, so I figure this is new damage. I do not think any of the foam sealants on its own will repair the tube because the leak seems to be very fast.

A possible solution might be to "convert" the tyre back to tubeless by replacing the (now missing) valve from the inside of the rim (if one can be put in from the outside without removing the tyre from the rim). This would at least close the 1/2 inch hole where the air is currently coming out. Air could still be pumped into the tube through the (outer) valve and maybe foam sealant would seal both the tube and around the rim.

Any ideas very much appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

/ Tyre repair advice wanted #3  
G'day mate the best way to deal with it is to get a sleeve put in the tyre i know this means removing the tyre but if you are freindly with the local tyre dealer they will come out for not much but if you unbolt the rim of the cast centre they really aren't that bad to handle but be careful if the tyre is filled with water you will have to drain it first back your trailer/ute up to it and lay it straight on (trailer usually easier as it is lower) Good luck :) PS What part of aus are you in??

/ Tyre repair advice wanted
Thanks Guys

Re tube sealant, have not seen that particular brand but there are others around. The interesting thing about Slime is it claims to repair as well as protect, where the others only work on unpunctured tubes. I'll contact the manufacturers to see if they have a local agent.

Banjodunn's comment are helpful too and this suggestion may be the way to go, especially since the tube can be repaired while off the rim. I agree that getting the rim off should not be that hard due to that great stuff called gravity, plus a tackle to drag the unit up onto the trailer bed. It is getting the bastard back on that worries me - lifting and aligning.

Any thoughts on my original suggestion of retro fitting a valve from the outside of the rim? I know these are push-in fittings, but do not know if they can be fitted from the outside with the tyre in place.

The tractor is at a bush property about halp way between Oberon and Goulburn in NSW

Cheers

Alan

/ Tyre repair advice wanted #5  
I don't think a tubeless valve can be put in from the outside, but you could possibly break the bead from the rim at valve and put one in although I wouldn't want to try it. If you happen to have a huge portable vice you could put it in or whatever you have. Half the stuff I do, I have to figure a way to get it done by just looking at what tools I have and figuring it out.

/ Tyre repair advice wanted
You are probably right about it not being possible to fit a valve from the outside - certainly the push-in type. However, because very low tyre pressure is involved, I was thinking about tapping a thread into the hole in the rim and using a screw-in valve in without the backing nut.

Anyone sane would just get the thing fixed professionally, but it is amazing how many jobs can be done with a bit of innovation

Cheers

Alan

/ Tyre repair advice wanted #7  
Hi alan you prob wont have much luck with tapping a thread even though it looks hefty the wall thickness of the rim would only give you 1 to 1 1/2 threads and you need the flange on the back of the screw up valves to make it seal you can get it back on with a couple of good crowbars and a couple of stubbies for your mate down the road to help you or you could just wait til winter fill it with water and let nature do the rest spent the coldest night i've ever had at oberon and that was in the start of january:D

JD

/ Tyre repair advice wanted #9  
There are tools for inserting tubeless valve stems without dismounting the tire (tyre) from the rim. Stride Tool Inc. - Imperialョ Brake Service Tools

Good luck

SimS

Yep, it can be done. That is a manual version, similar to one we had at a place I used to work. It used air pressure to pop the valve stem into the hole. I don't remember the brand, it was old back when I was young, may not even be made anymore.
jp

/ Tyre repair advice wanted #10  
Look for Muliti seal web site on google, then read what they say about Hydro seal. As soon as it warms up a bit around here I am having it put in my rear tires.