Ford Hydraulic Fluid

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #11  
Thanks for your replies. I picked up some Super Trac hyd fluid at the local NAPA for $35 for 5 gallons. I was looking in my Ford manual and it said that the hyd filters should be changed by a Ford technician. Any experience with changing the filters? And, is the referenced filter the same as the "screen".

Thanks again,

Don

Yesterday, when we were "herding cats" to the vet for shots and worming, I picked up a local shopper classified paper and noticed our TSC has Traveller Premium Hydraulic Fluid on sale for $36/5 gal. I believe their normal price is over 40 per pail, so that's a pretty good deal.

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid
Redneck,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and with all the detail. Luckily, I have an 8 speed manual transmission. That's a good price on the Supertrac. I may be able to get to the tractor tomorrow. Today I'm helping my son (his day off) on another project: We are putting a towable backhoe on a barge to use for cleaning out his boat slip. I think it'll work out OK. We're working on putting stabilizer feet (spuds) on it and getting the hoe on the barge today. If you're up to it I may be picking your brain some more.

Later,

Don

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #13  
Yesterday, when we were "herding cats" to the vet for shots and worming, I picked up a local shopper classified paper and noticed our TSC has Traveller Premium Hydraulic Fluid on sale for $36/5 gal. I believe their normal price is over 40 per pail, so that's a pretty good deal.

same here.. that's a decent deal too..

soundguy

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #14  
Redneck,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and with all the detail. Luckily, I have an 8 speed manual transmission. That's a good price on the Supertrac. I may be able to get to the tractor tomorrow. Today I'm helping my son (his day off) on another project: We are putting a towable backhoe on a barge to use for cleaning out his boat slip. I think it'll work out OK. We're working on putting stabilizer feet (spuds) on it and getting the hoe on the barge today. If you're up to it I may be picking your brain some more.

Later,

Don

Don----What I am more concerned about is the fact that you said the oil was Black----if the seal leaks bye in the piston type hyd pump on the left side of the rear of the engine it is possible to pull(pump) all the engine oil out of the engine in short order and cause an engine failure----have had that problem several times----mostly caused by a stopped up suction filter in the rear end----the front gear and 2 needle bearings in the piston hyd pump are oiled from the engine oil---if it sets up a vacuum it may pull all the oil out of the engine rather quickly ---be sure the black oil was not engine oil if it is be sure and keep an eye on the engine oil level-----by cleaning the filter it stops this vacuum from developing and the problem fixes itself----RED

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid
Red-Thanks again. I will check the engine oil. I've been checking it periodically but I will check it first thing tomorrow. I'll see if I can find the locations of the filters also. I have an operator's manual but I'm gonna have to see if I can find my repair manual (I think I lent it to my son) so I can find the areas/parts you are telling me about. I'm an OK parts changer, but not a mechanic.

Later,

Don

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #16  
I need to change the filters on my 3000 as well, the original owner never changed them but the fluid is clean. I have the Select-O-Speed so how do I get at that filter screen?

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #17  
I need to change the filters on my 3000 as well, the original owner never changed them but the fluid is clean. I have the Select-O-Speed so how do I get at that filter screen?

mygoatboy----a 10 sp trans (selectospeed) has the hyd filters in the same place ---see 05C01 Flow control in Ford Parts book----however you also have several filters on the left side of your trans----one large paper filter #25 (309735) and an inlet screen filter #22 (312283) see 07F01 in the Ford parts book

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #18  
Soundguy---My '63 Ford 4000 was found to be slam full of fluid in the hydraulic section (midway between the rear end and the engine section, right?), so I dropped the plug and let some out such that the fluid level is now at the full mark on the dipstick under the seat. I have not used this tractor but a bit since I got it, but never noticed any issues with the lift except dipping just a smidgen, then slightly jerking upward, when I would have the lift all the way up, and running at low idle in neutral. You could watch it do that over and over. Would that have been caused by the overfilled hydraulic system? Did not see it do that anymore after draining the excess tonight, but not sure if that is cause and effect or just coincidence . . . . . . The fluid looked good and clean, by the way. Before now, I had never noticed the full markings on the dipstick, just assuming if it was full, that was good. Hope I didn't hurt anything.

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #19  
the full mark on the dipstick on the hyds is merely a nominal sugestion. it's at about the 2g mark. the sump will actually hold a hair over 3g before things like the dipstick leak. that's so you can have a large SA cyl plumbed in via external hyds.

so.. i'd have to say your overfill was no issue.

and leakdown and circuit regen is normal. you likely see it more pronounced at idle when leak and pump flow are closer to same volume..

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #20  
Don

The Ford 1967 3000 has two filters in the hydraulic system ---a metal washable suction filter (C5NNN994M) located under the ring gear in the rear end and a little paper (disposable) (C5NNN832B) return filter located on the right hand side of the tractor on the end of a 1/2" S tube---this filter may look fine on the outside as it is a return filter so it filters from the inside out(Dirty on the inside)---The metal washable suction filter runs on a metal line from the right hand side right at the rear of the transmission connection(under the PTO Shaft) to the left side of the rear end under the ring gear and axle---it is bolted to one of the bolts holding the pinion. IF it is an 6 or 8 speed you can remove this filter by removing the PTO shaft,the left hand cover on the rear housing where the park brake may be mounted and the Pto shift lever---it is easier to remove the lift top also --but can be done without this removal---IF IT IS A SINGLE SHIFT 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION SETUP you will have to split the tractor between the rear end and transmission to change or wash this filter(Due to the PTO shifter setup) -----you can wash the rear housing with a little diesel sometimes and clean it enough to do but looking from the top it will look clean(can't see it very good because of the location under the ring gear) but usually the bottom still does not come clean ----FORD TECH for 20+ years! In my area Super Trac is bringing $25 at the Local truck parts houses and truck stops. However we use ---- in the 2000 and 3000's that WE repair.

Yesterday I whipped out my 100 series 55-60 Shop Manual, my 1000 series 65-75 Repair Manual, and the 1000 series Owners Manuals looking for these filters and how to service information. Since you repair them and they are apparently year/model unique you said that the 67 3000 has the screen and paper element. How about the 65 3000 with the 6 speed and Live PTO?

You'd think that Ford would have made these things accessible since in the 1000 repair manual it shows pictures of both and says that the screen needed to be cleaned out frequently. I did see where the 5000 had a spin on filter. I can't believe that a guy has to tear into his tractor and remove all the stuff you mentioned just to perform normal maintenance.

Reply appreciated.
Mark