Ford Hydraulic Fluid

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #1  

Don in LA

Tractor
1967 Ford 3000, 42 HP Diesel, 2WD
I own a 1967 Ford 3000 diesel tractor. I guess the guy that owned it before didn't change the hydraulic fluid. It runs (engine,transmission, hydraulics) fine. I checked the hydraulic fluid levels in the transmission and rear axle (which supplies fluid for the hydraulics). The rear axle fluid is black. The transmission had too much fluid and I drained about a pint into a clear plastic container. After a few minutes I noticed a seperation in the fluid. After 4 weeks I have a 1 1/2" top layer of dark brown fluid over a 3" layer of grayish/green fluid. I am going to change the fluid. I just wanted to get some ideas as to any problems that I may be looking at as evidenced by the fluid color and seperation.

Thanks,

Don

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #2  
Since petro chem's don't usually seperate out like that.. I'd say you got water in there.

I'd add a bottle of seafoam transtune to the sumps, and then agitate, and then drain... the seafoam will grab water in soloution ( not suspension ), and hopefully you will get most of it out.

( on the cheap.. a couple bottles of 91% isopropyl would probably work... as it's a polar solvent and water is polar.. )..

In any case.. repalce with clean UTF fluid meeting the M2C134D spec. Walmart supertech is the cheapest I've found.. TSC carries traveler brand.. and the dealer has it's own brand.

I'd repalce any filters too.. as they are likely 'wet'.

soundguy

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #3  
I can't improve on Soundguy's perfect advice, but I'd sure love to see a photo of the fluid. We could add it to the TBN "Hall of Shame.";) It sounds to me like you're starting out well with your new acquisition.

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid
Soundguy and Jinman,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that you wouldn't say that I may have water in my hydraulic fluid. If that is the case, I'm surprised that the Ford has performed as well as it has. Actually, I've had the tractor for a few years (shame on me for not doing this maintenance sooner). I got it to maintain 600' of gravel driveway and about 1000' of walking trails. And, just because I always wanted a tractor! More recently, since I moved, the tractor has been used to maintain a one mile subdivision access road. The big question is, do you guys think that I need to look elsewhere for problems that may have led to water getting into the system? Again, it was the manual transmission which has the fluid that seperated. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture of the stuff. I can kinda operate a computer and I can take pictures but getting the pictures on the computer is another matter. I'll see if I can get my wife to help me with that.

Thanks again,

Don

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #5  
Water gets in a variety of ways... loose fill caps, shifters with bad shields / boots... 3pt control springs ( ford n was bad about this ).. condensation from sumps warming and cooling.. etc.

If it's really that dirty / wet.. For the health of the system.. and since you've gotten away for so long with no oil change costs... I'd add the seafoam.. agitate for 15 minutes.. then drain.. refill with walmart utf.. add more seafoam, and then run a week.. then drain again and do final fill. Make sure you change the filters to. walmart utc runs about 30$ per 5g now.. and TSC is about 40$ per 5g, with dealer fluid being inthe 50-60$ range depending on where you are at.

those old machines will run aloooong time with a little care an maintenance. t hat fact that yours has been running so long on bad fluid is a testiment to their design.

soundguy

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #6  
i just changed out all the fluids and ended up buying UTF at JD store it was the cheapest around at $60 or so for 5 gals. didnt find any at walmart.
by the way i am also in South LA. and as long as you are changing the fluid DEFINITELY clean the filter screen. that thing is SCARY!!!!

Last edited:
   / Ford Hydraulic Fluid #7  
Dang.. too bad no cheap oil at wm / TSC.. 60$ for 5g is almost robery...

soundguy

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid
Thanks for your replies. I picked up some Super Trac hyd fluid at the local NAPA for $35 for 5 gallons. I was looking in my Ford manual and it said that the hyd filters should be changed by a Ford technician. Any experience with changing the filters? And, is the referenced filter the same as the "screen".

Thanks again,

Don

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #9  
No ford tractor technicians left since ford stopped making tractor years ago.. that means you get the duty!..

as to what filter / screens.. etc.. depends on the model!

soundguy

/ Ford Hydraulic Fluid #10  
No ford tractor technicians left since ford stopped making tractor years ago.. that means you get the duty!..

as to what filter / screens.. etc.. depends on the model!

soundguy

Don

The Ford 1967 3000 has two filters in the hydraulic system ---a metal washable suction filter (C5NNN994M) located under the ring gear in the rear end and a little paper (disposable) (C5NNN832B) return filter located on the right hand side of the tractor on the end of a 1/2" S tube---this filter may look fine on the outside as it is a return filter so it filters from the inside out(Dirty on the inside)---The metal washable suction filter runs on a metal line from the right hand side right at the rear of the transmission connection(under the PTO Shaft) to the left side of the rear end under the ring gear and axle---it is bolted to one of the bolts holding the pinion. IF it is an 6 or 8 speed you can remove this filter by removing the PTO shaft,the left hand cover on the rear housing where the park brake may be mounted and the Pto shift lever---it is easier to remove the lift top also --but can be done without this removal---IF IT IS A SINGLE SHIFT 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION SETUP you will have to split the tractor between the rear end and transmission to change or wash this filter(Due to the PTO shifter setup) -----you can wash the rear housing with a little diesel sometimes and clean it enough to do but looking from the top it will look clean(can't see it very good because of the location under the ring gear) but usually the bottom still does not come clean ----FORD TECH for 20+ years! In my area Super Trac is bringing $25 at the Local truck parts houses and truck stops. However we use ---- in the 2000 and 3000's that WE repair.