Kubota LA403 FEL bucket droops - help?

/ Kubota LA403 FEL bucket droops - help? #1  

DoctorDawg

I own a 2007 Kubota B2630 with the LA403 FEL, bought new, now has 270 hrs. This is the second time now that the FEL bucket has developed a bad case of the 'droops'...as in, won't stay tipped up for more than a minute or two with the bucket empty, or at all when the bucket is full, unless the hydro oil is good and hot (which, of course, all suggests a leaking seal).

The first time this happened, at about 50 hr., my dealer fixed it under warranty...I wasn't there at the time but I know they replaced a seal in the bucket tilt cylinder. Now out of warranty and the dealer is way too far away; I'd like to fix it myself but I can't find a LA403 shop manual (tried Messicks and thoroughly searched the web). Very handy with a wrench but don't actually know my way around the inside of a hydraulic cylinder.

After a little more web search I've found the LA403's parts manual (but not a repair manual), and see that there is a seal kit for the bucket cylinder, part no. 7J048-64400. But it remains the case that I really don't know my way around hydraulics in general or hydraulic cylinders in particular. I'm assuming that the steps involved in changing the seals go something like this (please correct me if I'm wrong):

a. Release pressure in the system by working the joy stick with the engine off.
b. Disconnect hydraulic hose from the cylinder (cover the end w/ plastic wrap to keep it clean, or what?)
c. Dismount the cylinder from the FEL
d. Pull shaft from cylinder (is this hard? is there a trick?)
e. Remove piston nut and piston (anything special required here?).
f. Slide old seals off; slide new seals on (any special tools, tricks, or gotchas?)
f. Reinstall piston on shaft.
g. Reinsert shaft into cylinder.
h. Remount cylinder on FEL.
i. Bleed cylinder (how, please? Just operate the bucket stick till it fills, or what?)
j. Done (?)
Many thanks in advance. Other than the droopy bucket I love this tractor...just the thing for a 15 acre horse farm.

Last edited: