Bent BH cylinder

/ Bent BH cylinder #11  
I bent the power steering cylinder on a 105 HP Hesston about10/15 years ago. New one was outlandish price, so I went to a local machine shop & asked if they could make a new rod for me. He looked at it & said I think I can straighten it. He did. Still in use today.

/ Bent BH cylinder #12  
My friend and I are just beginning to build a Cadplans Backhoe - these photos sure are an indication of the power of Hydraulic Systems and should work to make us cautious around overdoing it with the new toy - er.. I mean tool /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I'd be very interested in knowing what kind of success you have in getting this cylinder repaired - it sounds possible from some of the posts here and it is always comforting to know that things can be rectified before they go wrong.

Bob

/ Bent BH cylinder
Update, removed bucket cylinder and did a tear down. Not only did I bend the shaft but also broke the internal piston. We weren't able to tell if the cylinder tube was damaged but I'm not going to take chances with only 110 hours on the tractor. It appears that the damage occurred when the piston struck the stump. I will replace the entire cylinder assembly and chalk it up as one very expensive lesson.

Bill C

/ Bent BH cylinder
Pete, after removing the cylinder Mon. it looks like the piston bent when it hit the stump. I was pushing it instead of pulling but that's another story.

Bill C

/ Bent BH cylinder #15  
For what its worth, I snapped the 'extendahoe' cylinder in my old Case 580C through my own stupidity. That cylinder is a major pain to remove and reinstall, and I think was the biggest (and most expensive) on the machine - a good 3 or 4" in diamter. I had it rebuilt - sort of - for the cost of $900 Canadian, which is around US $600 these days. I suspect any cylinder on a compact would be much cheaper. I say sort of, because the twit who rebulit it didn't bother to replace the packings (admittedly, I didn't specifically ask him to) and it still leaked a little after the replair but otherwise worked fine. Now I know a better shop.
I would first quote out a complete rebuild of the cylinder. It should be much cheaper and just as good as a new one.