Bent BH cylinder

/ Bent BH cylinder #1  

billfires

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland 1920
I bent the bucket cylinder on my NH 758C BH today. Any suggestions on repair would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bill C

Attachments

• 48-152540-Mvc-004f.jpg
    48-152540-Mvc-004f.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 172
   / Bent BH cylinder #2  
Ouch. How did you do that? Very impressive.

You'll need to replace the rod at a minimum, and perhaps the cylinder too if that got damaged. If you are careful and clean about the work you could replace it yourself, or take it to the dealer or a hydraulic shop for repair. Worst case you'll need to replace the whole assembly.

Peter

/ Bent BH cylinder #3  
Bill, I have had some success using a hyd. press. It's kind of a crap shoot wether it'll keep from leaking though. If you dissassemble the rod from the barrel, remove the piston and gland it helps the success rate. Chances are you're not going to get it perfect and you will experience some leakage in the future. To make the repair stick, replace the rod check the gland, piston and barrell for damage and install a new seal kit. Double check the price of a complete cyl. assembly to make sure that isn't more cost effective.

/ Bent BH cylinder #4  
There are specialty shops that can straighten this out and rechrome the cylinder.

I know of a tracked excavator that hit a bridge and wrecked a boom cylinder. The repair was less than 10% of the replacement cost.

/ Bent BH cylinder #5  
Wow! Sorry to see that, Bill. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't), <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/35-87150-JDhoe.jpg>this picture</A> posted a while back might make you count your blessings.
crazy.gif

/ Bent BH cylinder #6  
Bill -- What were you doing when it happened? Let me know so I can avoid whatever it was!

Pete

/ Bent BH cylinder
Peter, I priced the complete cylinder assembly-$585.00. Tuesday I will price just the rod and packing kit as suggested by spencer200. A neighbor that is a heavy equipment operator gave me the names of 2 local hydraulic repair places also. Thanks for the info.

Bill C

/ Bent BH cylinder
kubmech, I want to repair it so it won't leak (has 110 hours) but will look into a hydraulic repair shop. It has been suggested that at the very least I will need a new piston and pscking kit. Thanks for the info.

Bill C

/ Bent BH cylinder
JTT, I will look into 2 hydraulic shops that are somewhat local. One has come highly recommended by a heavy eqiupment mechanic, who says they could rework that piston. I will also price new parts from NH. Thanks,

Bill C

/ Bent BH cylinder
Pete, I am not 4exactly sure how it happened. I was digging 2 14" oak stumps that were interconnected and had the first one out and was trying to break the tap root by undercutting the stump by digging over the top of the stump. If you look close at the pics in the photo forum you will see paint scraped off the outside of the "dipper" boom. I couln't seee the bucket and thought I had just pinched the hose. (I was also running the BH at 1500 rpms). Sorry I can't pinpoint the cause.

Bill C