Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1920

Default Bent BH cylinder

I bent the bucket cylinder on my NH 758C BH today. Any suggestions on repair would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bill C
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Kubota L5740 cab + FEL, Cat D5G dozer, Kubota KX121 excavtor

Default Re: Bent BH cylinder

Ouch. How did you do that? Very impressive.

You'll need to replace the rod at a minimum, and perhaps the cylinder too if that got damaged. If you are careful and clean about the work you could replace it yourself, or take it to the dealer or a hydraulic shop for repair. Worst case you'll need to replace the whole assembly.

Peter

Bill, I have had some success using a hyd. press. It's kind of a crap shoot wether it'll keep from leaking though. If you dissassemble the rod from the barrel, remove the piston and gland it helps the success rate. Chances are you're not going to get it perfect and you will experience some leakage in the future. To make the repair stick, replace the rod check the gland, piston and barrell for damage and install a new seal kit. Double check the price of a complete cyl. assembly to make sure that isn't more cost effective.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro

There are specialty shops that can straighten this out and rechrome the cylinder.

I know of a tracked excavator that hit a bridge and wrecked a boom cylinder. The repair was less than 10% of the replacement cost.

California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
    Tractor
    Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission

Wow! Sorry to see that, Bill. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't), <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/35-87150-JDhoe.jpg>this picture</A> posted a while back might make you count your blessings.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S

Bill -- What were you doing when it happened? Let me know so I can avoid whatever it was!

Pete

Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1920

Peter, I priced the complete cylinder assembly-$585.00. Tuesday I will price just the rod and packing kit as suggested by spencer200. A neighbor that is a heavy equipment operator gave me the names of 2 local hydraulic repair places also. Thanks for the info.

Bill C

Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1920

kubmech, I want to repair it so it won't leak (has 110 hours) but will look into a hydraulic repair shop. It has been suggested that at the very least I will need a new piston and pscking kit. Thanks for the info.

Bill C

Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1920

JTT, I will look into 2 hydraulic shops that are somewhat local. One has come highly recommended by a heavy eqiupment mechanic, who says they could rework that piston. I will also price new parts from NH. Thanks,

Bill C

Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1920

Pete, I am not 4exactly sure how it happened. I was digging 2 14" oak stumps that were interconnected and had the first one out and was trying to break the tap root by undercutting the stump by digging over the top of the stump. If you look close at the pics in the photo forum you will see paint scraped off the outside of the "dipper" boom. I couln't seee the bucket and thought I had just pinched the hose. (I was also running the BH at 1500 rpms). Sorry I can't pinpoint the cause.

Bill C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast