It's broken HELP

/ It's broken HELP #1  

gotrocks

Platinum Member
Tractor
B-2910 delivered 8/23/01
Just noticed the bolt laying loose, looked closer the housing is broken.
If the old part number is what I need $430 + if new part number $548 +.

Please give me your experience or suggestions for this fix.

Some of my concerns are;
Cast iron does not weld like steel. I have the small chard that is broken off.
Heat from welding may damage seals or ??:confused:

My first thought was make a one piece steel plate weld the top link brackets to it and attach with the three good bolts and try to be more careful.

Thanks for all who take time to offer suggestions.
Here is pic with top link brackets removed.

Broken Hyd top link bolt hole.jpg

/ It's broken HELP #2  
My first thought was make a one piece steel plate weld the top link brackets to it and attach with the three good bolts and try to be more careful.

View attachment 123840

Good Afternoon Norris,
I would want to at least consult someone that is proficient in welding cast iron to look at it, and also somone else that knows tractors for the opinions on the heat issues !

Yes IMO a steel plate with the three bolts holding it to the case should work fine, but in the back of your mind you know its not the way it was when coming from the factory !

Explore all your options and then make an educated decision ! ;)

/ It's broken HELP #4  
Just noticed the bolt laying loose, looked closer the housing is broken.
If the old part number is what I need $430 + if new part number $548 +.

Please give me your experience or suggestions for this fix.

Some of my concerns are;
Cast iron does not weld like steel. I have the small chard that is broken off.
Heat from welding may damage seals or ??:confused:

I can't tell by the picture. Do the threads extend further into the housing (past the broken section)? If so you may be able to JB weld the chard back on and get a bolt long enough to reach the solid threads past the broken section. If there are enough threads left you could tighten it up pretty well like that. I would not use JB weld unless this was the case.

Mark

/ It's broken HELP #5  
You may be able to drill and tap a new bolt location next to the broken bolt hole. Then use the metal plate youmentioned with a stud attached to metal plate at old location. This would be about as strong as before IMHO.

/ It's broken HELP #6  
You may be able to drill and tap a new bolt location next to the broken bolt hole. Then use the metal plate youmentioned with a stud attached to metal plate at old location. This would be about as strong as before IMHO.

I like this idea or lay a stud in the broken out area and weld it in place then use a nut on the stut instead of a bolt.

Dan

/ It's broken HELP #7  
I did the same thing to my tractor with my Post Hole Digger. I used JB Weld to fill the area and I got a 4 studs and put them in bottomed out. I used washers, lock washers, and nuts to then fasten. I then drilled and taped 2 other holes between the 4 hole and have never had a problem. Mine was cast also.

Chris

/ It's broken HELP #8  
Im in favor of the last two suggestions even if you welded a smaller bolt, or a larger bolt ground down to be easier to weld in then use the steel plate with a nut. or steel plate with 2 or 3 smaller holes drilled and tapped into housing if you dont have big tap.

ok make that the last 3 suggestions LOL we were typing at the same time

/ It's broken HELP
TBN, The Best News, for tractors and other things.
Did not see anyone named Johnny but everyone was
"Johnny on the spot" with help for this one.

I'll start looking at a plate and see if we can drill a new
hole and tap it.

Thanks everyone.

Any others that came in late, let's have your ideas also.

/ It's broken HELP #10  
Since you have only one good chance at fixing it, you might consider seeking professional help with the drilling and tapping of the new holes, and welding of the others. Granted, there are people on this board that make some of the local shops work look like kids did it, but if your just a reasonablely mechanically inclined guy with an average array of tools, it might be worth investigating what a machine shop would charge to build your adapter. Hopefully you have a shop that does a little farm equipment maintance, so they won't be surprised at what your suggesting.
David from jax