Advice on connecting JD 513 mower

/ Advice on connecting JD 513 mower #1  

klby

Have a John Deere 790 tractor and got a 5' John Deere 513 mower. Spent three hours getting the mower connected to the tractor(even enlisted the help of my wife). Previously had a 4' Gearmore mower and had no problem with connecting it. Having such a connection problem sort of reduces the tractors functionality because one does not want to disconnect/reconnect the mower. What is the trick? Quick disconnect! Suggestions?

Last edited:
   / Advice on connecting JD 513 mower #2  
What was the issue? getting lined up? drive shaft connection?

/ Advice on connecting JD 513 mower
Hello joecdeere,

Multiple problems seemly. Had to get it lined up perfectly after many adjustment in the lift bars. What looked like perfect alignment wasn't. It took many tries and its not easy to move the mower around for an older guy. After getting it connected had to to readjust the lift bar restrains to prevent it from hitting tires on none level ground. Had no problem connecting the PTO. There is got to be an easier method.

/ Advice on connecting JD 513 mower #5  
OK folks. Here's the machinery. I see that a 513 has a few adjustments on the back braces that would affect the top link pickup point, but it looks like a direct hookup. One thing to invest in if its not there is a jackscrew type of link arm for the tractor. When the tractor and mower are not on the same plane, one side pin can be higher than the other. The jack screw link allows you to crank a link up/down as necessary once you get one side in. The other obvious hint is the Easy-Change connectors. You back in pick up the arms and they hook in. Note that the required lateral position of your link eyes is most likely gonna need to be readjusted. Set them for the lateral distance of the mower attachment pins. Normally I think most people set the height, get 1 pin in, pull the tailwheel over to get the 2nd pin close, push the link over the pin, hook up the drive shaft, and then connect the top link. Looks like the top link position is a floater. This means that the mower will hinge in the side view to adjust for ground elevation changes. The only other thing that comes to mind is that you rear wheels are set very close together and there is some interference now that was not there with the 4 footer. What is the distance between the rear wheel centers?

Other than that, we're gonna need a more detailed explanation of the situation you are struggling with. Lower pin(s) or upper? And what is the position of the mower F/A links on the mower deck? fwd or rearwd?

/ Advice on connecting JD 513 mower
Hello zzvyb6

Thanks for the information. Think that all of the items you mentioned had been done. The part that got to me is how close the tolerance of the pin on the mower an the hole in the lift arm which the pin fits. If it was not perfectly lined up, it would not fit. Quality generally means close tolerance.

Generally speaking, connect of mower on the second time will be a lot easier than the first time. It was a real BEAR to get that first connection.

/ Advice on connecting JD 513 mower #7  
I have a wood beam with coasters that I set mine on. I park it on a concrete pad and that allows me to move it easily to get it aligned.
Note: I "borrowed" this idea from someone else here.

/ Advice on connecting JD 513 mower #8  
Hello zzvyb6

Thanks for the information. Think that all of the items you mentioned had been done. The part that got to me is how close the tolerance of the pin on the mower an the hole in the lift arm which the pin fits. If it was not perfectly lined up, it would not fit. Quality generally means close tolerance.

Generally speaking, connect of mower on the second time will be a lot easier than the first time. It was a real BEAR to get that first connection.

Be sure to grease the pins on the mower, AND the insides of the lift arm balls. That will help some too.

/ Advice on connecting JD 513 mower #9  
My Dad also had trouble hitching up his mower in the later years, it is a lot of weight to man-handle, I finally bought three round fence post about 3" around, set them up as shown below. With very little effort one man can move it forward,backward and left or right. Cheap and easy he loved it! Sorry for the high tech drawing LOL! but it's pouring here

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/Joecdeere/tech pic/mowerpoles.jpg

/ Advice on connecting JD 513 mower #10  
A 5' line up bar is what I use and I'm a old gezzer. Just stick the bar in the ground at a angle up against the mower and push and wiggle it'll go in. A supply of some 2x4 blocking maybe a couple of 4x4's will help. bjr