Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Default Re: How to take apart Hammerlock link

Is the pin slightly bigger on one end ? Maybe it's directional & you're going the wrong way. Either way you're gonna need a big hammer. Use a punch with a handle or visegrips, some heat, & whack it hard. Or find someone with a 40 ton press. MikeD74T

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

I got it apart. Well actually I must have loosened it cause the guy that works for me said he just held it in the vise and gave 2 whacks with a drift and the pin pushed right out!

I squeezed the heck out of that thing, pushing on the pin. I did let PB Blaster soak in overnight, so that probably helped, it was held in place with a spring which must have been stuck to the pin.
    The spring is funnel shaped on each end to make it easier to get the pin stared when installing, the middle of the spring must really grip the pin. Also the pin has some grooves cut into it to help hold the spring.

Everything I read about them said the were easy to install in the field, just are a little harder to take apart I guess.

Thanks, JB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn3537-jpg  
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

G'day used to use these all the time the retainer in the middle has a spring in them and the pin has got little grooves that match up to them they are a real pain to get apart usually that bad that in the workshop the time you would use to get them apart you have paid for a new one but if you have got the time you are going to have to cut the retainer out of the middle and i don't know if you can buy replacements dont use a bolt as you won't get enough strength to have the same weight rating as original good luck

Tractor
    Mahindra 2810 HST, Kioti DK35SE HST

I have a number of hammerlocks and all I have ever used is a vice, a good punch and big hammer. A little P B Blaster might not be a bad idea too. They will come apart with a little force.

Tractor
    ford

Im new here I guess by now you got the hammerlok apart , this post is 2009. Well I ran across this post looking for something else . The link you have will come apart I have done quite a few over the years and they can be very had . There is a spring inside the locking collar and when the pin drives thru the pin has some ridges that match up like threads with the spring. After it gets old and rusty it locks to the pin like a vise. It might have a little play each way if the the spring breakes alose from the collar but it stops when the spring jams against the connector each way. If you cant punch or press it out the first thing is to drill two or three holes in the collar . Start with small bit 1/8 or less then open up with 3/16 . do not apply much pressuse and stop when feel the bit bumping on the spring. Drill holes so all are facing up and fill with wd40 and let soak over night and try to punch again. Repeat another night or 2 . If no luck you have to go to heat. A propane torch is not enough , you a mapp with oxygen or oxy acc. Heat only the collar in the center on both sides and move to another spot if starts to turn red. Try to punch again . I have had some that didnt punch out then , but after it cooled then pin punched out.
    I hope this helps , I can send picks and more info . Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12