How to take apart Hammerlock link

/ How to take apart Hammerlock link #1  

JB4310

Tractor
J.D. 4310 E-hydro
Does any one know how to take these apart, I have the 3/8 size which has split spring sleeve, which is obvious, with a little force the pin will push out.

This older 1/2" one has a solid sleeve in the middle and I can't seem to be able to push the pin out, these are pretty expensive in grade 80 or 100 which I think the yellow one is, I would like to reuse it if possible.

Thanks, JB.

Attachments

• DSCN3496.JPG
    DSCN3496.JPG
    969.9 KB · Views: 805
  • DSCN3497.JPG
    DSCN3497.JPG
    991.1 KB · Views: 551
  • DSCN3395.JPG
    DSCN3395.JPG
    994.7 KB · Views: 949
   / How to take apart Hammerlock link #2  
Press, vise/hammer. That's all I got.

/ How to take apart Hammerlock link #3  
I dont know if they come apart. I spent a half a day trying to get one apart and never did. I even tried putting it in the press and it wouldn't move.
Bill

/ How to take apart Hammerlock link #4  
You could cut away the pin with a hand held grinder with the slim discs and replace the pin with a graded bolt and lock nut.

I'd get the highest grade available if the application is a critical one.

/ How to take apart Hammerlock link #5  
Perhaps some heat and a press. Are the outside pin ends peened over a little from use and could the sleeve be rusted on.:confused:

/ How to take apart Hammerlock link
Perhaps some heat and a press. Are the outside pin ends peened over a little from use and could the sleeve be rusted on.:confused:

No, the pin moves freely about 1/8" back and forth. there is another smaller sleeve/retainer between the outer sleeve and the pin, everything moves around freely.

Tried pushing the pin out in a med size vise and broke the vise, didn't have enough thread in the vise and broke a couple threads off the end of casting the screw threads into. vise is OK now after some mods.
I do have a monster vise I can try, but I think there must be a trick, found some info on these things with Google search but nothing describing dis-assembly.

JB.

/ How to take apart Hammerlock link #7  
I don't think they are supposed to come apart.

/ How to take apart Hammerlock link #8  
Try calling a crane rental yard and see were the get there rigging from, and call them. Or look for a rigging supply company