Case IH D 179 new motor low oil pressure

/ Case IH D 179 new motor low oil pressure #1  

David-Davies

Silver Member
Tractor
1972 IH 454
I've got a 1972 IH 454 with a D 179 engine. I bumped the oil filter and it ran out of oil. I changed the bearings, had low oil pressure, bumped the oil filter a second time, ran out of oil. I pulled the crank, took to a machane shop. They said that the crank was fine. Installed new bearings, still had low oil pressure. I now rebuilt the engine, turned crank, new liners, pistons, new oil pump, valve grind. Machine shop said that the cam bearings were good. I've only got 5 psi at idle, 30 psi full RPM hot. Cold it's 65 psi. I took the inspection plate for the cam, lifters, off when it was hot. I pryed on the under side of the camshaft, the front of the can shaft bearings 1&2 have about .005 wiggle. 3&4 seemed tight. I tried to install a dial indcator, to messure the movement of # 1&2 bearing, but the engine had cooled down and their was no movement, on the bearings. Doses eneyone have any ideas, as to what is wrong.

/ Case IH D 179 new motor low oil pressure #2  
David,

Have you considered the possibility that the oil pick-up is obstructed? You probably checked the inlet screen, but what if the oil pan is dented and the pan is too close to the pick-up screen and restricting oil flow?

I fixed a Honda Accord with exactly your symptoms by removing and pounding out the bottom of the oil pan.

/ Case IH D 179 new motor low oil pressure #3  
You need to torque the bearings in the rods and mains without the crank in place. Wih a dial bore guage or inside mic. measure the bores. then with an outside mic. measure the crank journals. The difference between them is your oil clearance. It should be around .003-.005. You need to check them all. Some times the only grind one journal on a crank. Also, if the bearing spun in the block or rods, they need to be resized (brought back to within spec.) It isnt verry often that you run a engine out of oil that it doesn,t hurt somthing other than bearings.
Bill

/ Case IH D 179 new motor low oil pressure #4  
What are you using for oil? That is to big of a swing to be the engines problem but more along the lines of a cheap multi weight?

/ Case IH D 179 new motor low oil pressure #6  
What are you using for oil? That is to big of a swing to be the engines problem but more along the lines of a cheap multi weight?

This is exactly what happens when you put standard sized bearings on a cut crank.Or when the bearing are wore out. When the oil is cold and thick it will take up the extra clearance. As the oil warms up it gets thinner and runs out of the bearings quicker.
Bill

/ Case IH D 179 new motor low oil pressure
Well I think I got it figured out. The machine shop lied. they didn't check the cam bearings, they now say they felt good. I can get a .006 th feeler gage between the cam and the bearing. I plastic gauged all the bearings befor assembly, .002-.0025 for the mains and .002 for the rods. witch are factory spects. And what realy burns my behind is I asked them to replace the cam bearings. They said that you can run an engine for a long time with out oil and not hurt the cam, or cam bearings. Apparently this machine shop can't resize cam bearings, so now I'll have to drive about 50 miles to anouther machine shop to have the bearings installed.

PS thanks for all the advice.

David,

Have you considered the possibility that the oil pick-up is obstructed? You probably checked the inlet screen, but what if the oil pan is dented and the pan is too close to the pick-up screen and restricting oil flow?

I fixed a Honda Accord with exactly your symptoms by removing and pounding out the bottom of the oil pan.
TedLaRue, the oil pan on most tractors, is very thick steel or cast steel, and forms part of the tractor's frame.

You need to torque the bearings in the rods and mains without the crank in place. Wih a dial bore guage or inside mic. measure the bores. then with an outside mic. measure the crank journals. The difference between them is your oil clearance. It should be around .003-.005. You need to check them all. Some times the only grind one journal on a crank. Also, if the bearing spun in the block or rods, they need to be resized (brought back to within spec.) It isnt verry often that you run a engine out of oil that it doesn,t hurt somthing other than bearings.
Bill
Hooked on HP [HP - half price ?] Don't ever got to a machine shop that will only grind one journal