John Deere 14T Baler Pitman Measurement Needed

/ John Deere 14T Baler Pitman Measurement Needed #1  

Cussin' Mac

The pitman is "busted half in two", bent beyond measuring. I'm in search of a measurement of the pitman from the center of the wrist pin on the plungerhead end (there's a grease fitting at this point) to the center of the end cap joint on the crank end.

I've made a clean cut on each end and intend to weld in a piece of "straight" pipe once I know the measurement.

If someone has a straight Pitman they want to part with, I guess that would be another way to go.

Any help would be appreciated.

/ John Deere 14T Baler Pitman Measurement Needed #2  
Hi !

Welcome to TBN. You came to the right place.

Its 36.0 inches.

When you have it all together, the rear end wall of the plunger is aligned with the front slot edge of the rear feeder fork slot when the crank pin is rearward with the pitman arm horizontal.

While you have it apart, its a good idea to replace the crank and plunger bearings. You JD dealer has them, maybe even in stock. It saves wear & tear on the gearbox. Also, check and adjust the plunger case wedges. Problems with these may be a partial cause of the conrod failure.

Quite a bit of expertise on 14T mechanics in this forum community. Time to check tucker finger clearances, drive chain tension, twine guides, twine tension, knotter timing, slip clutch operation and even tire pressures and wheel bearing grease.

On the day I need a baler, 95% won't do.