Help with my Ford Ranger Tranny and Drive Shaft

/ Help with my Ford Ranger Tranny and Drive Shaft #1  

JoelD

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs TLB, 2004
Guys, sorry if I've posted in the wrong place but don't know where else to turn.

There is some kind of balancer that attaches to the output shaft of my standard transmission. It has come loose.

Can anyone tell me how I remove the driveshaft to get this piece off.

I scoured the web and some say if I can drive without it without vibration I'm good. If not I need to replace.

I've never removed a driveshaft before and I don't know if this is actually on the drive shaft or the tranny?

Is the U-jount part of the tranny and when I disconned the driveshaft from the axle the drivesahft will pull right out of the tranny?

Looking at rear of drive shaft looks like there are 4 bolts that I can remove and then drop rear of driveshaft, will it just pull out the tranny? Or do I need to somehow press out the universal joint parts?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Joel

Attachments

• CIMG0106.JPG
    CIMG0106.JPG
    946.3 KB · Views: 4,562
  • CIMG0107.JPG
    CIMG0107.JPG
    952.7 KB · Views: 1,022
  • CIMG0108.JPG
    CIMG0108.JPG
    942 KB · Views: 2,148
  • CIMG0109.JPG
    CIMG0109.JPG
    951.5 KB · Views: 1,590
Last edited:
   / Help with my Ford Ranger Tranny and Drive Shaft #2  
You got it right. Remove the 2 ubolts at the rear diff and drop the driveshaft down at that end. It will then just pull right out at the trans. Be careful to keep the u-joint caps in place on the u-joint- if they slip off, the rollers inside might want to spill out on the floor. I typically wrap tape around the joint to hold them in place. Also be ready to catch tranny fluid when you remove the driveshaft as the seal is between the yoke and tranny housing.

/ Help with my Ford Ranger Tranny and Drive Shaft
Thank you very much yankeerider, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated, heading outside to try to pull appart.

Sincerely,
Joel

/ Help with my Ford Ranger Tranny and Drive Shaft #4  
Take a grease pencil or magic marker and mark the drive shaft orientation of the front yoke to the tranny and also at the rear diff. I usually forget to do this but it can make a difference in the balancing.

Thanks Tig, I did as you instructed.

I got the drive shaft out and the loose balancer off.

I'm reasembling to see how much vibration.

If not balanced then looks like I may need to purchase a new driveshaft.

Not sure if there is anyone around here who can balance for me, or if that can even be done?

Strange way it was attached to the driveshaft, pressed on with rubber bushing, the rubber rotted and the balancer became loose.

Definately not something put together for the long haul.

Joel

/ Help with my Ford Ranger Tranny and Drive Shaft #6  
That steel cylinder on the driveshaft is a gear rattle damper. It is mounted with a rubber sleeve which is what allows it to vibrate torsionally and dampen the rattle noise. Taking it off will not hurt anything, but you will hear more transmission gear rattle.

As noted, it is important to mark the position of the driveshaft connection to the rear axle, as this orientation is set in an optimal position at the factory to offset very slight off center conditions of the driveshaft balance and the axle mounting flange.

Thank you travelover, nice to find out what that thing does.

I got it off and she drives fine (thank goodness).

Really unusuall the way it is mounted, seems like it was only a matter of time before it was going to come loose.

I am glad its taken care of. I was very careful to put together in the same orientation as when I took it appart.

I used my yellow steel crayon to mark my spots.

Thanks again guys,

Sincerely,
Joel