Fuel Sender Wiring Issue

/ Fuel Sender Wiring Issue #1  

Baytown

Tractor
Kubota BX23S
G'day everyone.
I've just replaced my faulty fuel sender on my 1993 Case IH 595 4x4, with a new genuine sender assembly.
The issue is, that the OEM sender was made of steel, and had only one line going to it, and it would have earthed out through the body.
The replacement unit is plastic body, and has three pins, and no wiring diagram.
Problem is, how do I wire this up as I don't want to fry this and waste $130.
The cable from the gauge to the sender is Green with a Black stripe. I surmise I now need to create a power line, earth, and attach the original line to the sender but on which pins.
The cover cap doesn't fit now either. Bloody frustrating when you purchase from the factory, and nothing fits!
Photo 1 is of the old sender, 2 is the new fitted but not wired.
Any advice on which pin for power, earth and gauge would be really appreciated.

Best wishes all.

Ken.

Attachments

• DSCN0015.JPG
    DSCN0015.JPG
    616.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 99
   / Fuel Sender Wiring Issue #2  
The power does not go to the sender. It goes to the gauge. The ground for the gauge, comes from the sender. It is a variable resister. Hence only one wire.

Gauge probably has pins for: hot in, sender (ground), and light.

/ Fuel Sender Wiring Issue #3  
Your fuel sending unit works by grounding the wire coming from the guage. If you touch the wire from the guage to ground the guage reads full. It apears your new sending unit has 2 spade terminals. Conect one to ground and the other to the wire from the guage. If it operates backwards switch the wires.
Bill

/ Fuel Sender Wiring Issue #4  
G'day Ken you need to pop the sender unit out again and get a multimeter on the ohms setting then connect the meter the pins and move the arm up and down and see if the meter moves (you may have to try a few combinations of pins to find the right pair) when you do find the pair of pins that are linked you need to hook one to the wire comiing from the gauge and the other you need to run to an earth i.e. one of the mounting screws into the tank best of luck:) I have just looked at the pic better and agree with hooked there appears to be only two pins run one to earth and gauge wire on other. Hope you were not up in flood area i come from down in vic

/ Fuel Sender Wiring Issue
G'day fellas.
Thanks for the replies, and apologies for not getting back sooner, I've been interstate.
Re the new sender float unit, it indeed does have THREE pins. One came with a clear plastic connector shroud on it, and I left this on in the photo in the original position which can be seen.
I'll try to wire it as mentioned over the weekend.
The original float assembly had only the earth wire pin.
Re the gauge, I was aware that the single line coming from it should be grounded, and cause a deflection, as an indicator that the gauge works.
When I've done this, nothing happens with the gauge.
I've pulled the gauge, and checked for free play in the needle, and it seems fine.
I'm beginning to think this will be a costly issue, and that Case IH supplied the wrong sender / float assembly which I wont be refunded for as it's been fitted, and that I may (or may not!) need either a new fuel gauge OR instrument cluster due to the printed circuit style manufacture employed therein which may be at fault.
Thanks again, and I'll get back to you.

Ken
BanjoDunn, I'm 40kms Sth of Ingham, so the floods were a major issue for us. My 800m drive is cut up, and culvert collapsed. Bloody feral pigs have cut the property up as well. That's another job!
Hope the fires weren't a direct concern with you or your family.

/ Fuel Sender Wiring Issue
I sorted it thanks fellas, and you were spot on.
Center pin to the gauge, top pin (with out the plastic shroud) to earth.
Wish the parts they supply would come with instructions if they don't mirror the part it replaced.

Best wishes and thanks for the assistance everyone.

Ken.

/ Fuel Sender Wiring Issue #7  
G'day glad to hear you got it sorted fires did not have direct impact on us (60km west of Ballarat) but i spent a bit of time there with the CFA wish i had some hols might be able to help you out with that pig problem:D

Jon