Kubota L3010 rearaxle queston

/ Kubota L3010 rearaxle queston #1  

kbota

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 850-sold to buy Kbota Grand L3010
I have an L 3010 GST with 550 hours on the clock. 4x4, FEL, ag tires. It's been a nice tractor. Recently started hearing a creaking noise from the right rear axle area. I Checked all wheel studs/bolts, and they were tight. The noise is worse when the tractor has a heavy implement.

So, yesterday, I pulled the right wheel, rops, and fender, then drained the hydraulic fluid. Then pulled the outer axle case. There was no noticeable metal shavings, and the bearings/gears look brand new. The ONLY thing I noticed was the large nut (reference # 120, part number 70650-11380) that locks the gear (ref # 130) onto the axle was loose. I could turn the nut by hand.

Does anyone know how tight this nut should be? (ft-lbs of torque?) I do not have a service manual, and the dealer won't give me the time of day. I do have a parts manual, and the breakdown is on page 109.

Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Kubota L3010 rearaxle queston #2  
It sounds as if you have found something and you should pursue that. I think it is a problem but that it is not the source of the noise since it is in an oiled area. Creaks usually come from cracks or loose joints that are unlubricated. Did you check the rim to hub bolts too. Did you check all parts of the wheel assembly for cracks?
larry

/ Kubota L3010 rearaxle queston
It sounds as if you have found something and you should pursue that. I think it is a problem but that it is not the source of the noise since it is in an oiled area. Creaks usually come from cracks or loose joints that are unlubricated. Did you check the rim to hub bolts too. Did you check all parts of the wheel assembly for cracks?
larry

Update; Found that the torque requirement is 145 to 180 ft-lbs. Pulled the inner bearing, and torqued the nut to 175 ft-lbs. Was afraid the bearing was damaged as a result of removing it, and a new bearing was only $15, so we installed a new bearing. Cleaned everything up, and reinstalled the axle housing, then reinstalled fender, rops, etc...
After putting 8 gallons of new hydraulic oil in the rear axle, ....cranked it up, and checked things out. Quiet as a church mouse with no implement. I'll hook up the box blade tomorrow, and see if anything changes.
So far so good.

k