8N hard starting when warm

/ 8N hard starting when warm #31  
I am not familiar with these tractors . Do they have a fuel pump or are they gravity fed ? Do they have a Bakerlite spacer on the carb flange to stop fuel boiling ? I have fixed cars with Chrysler "hot start" kits . They are just a plastic in line fuel filter with a return line barb on the carb side . The barb has a pin prick size hole in it . A small hose goes back to the inlet side of the pump . When the motor is turned off hot , the excess line pressure returns to tank instead of pushing past the needle and seat while the float is being jostled by the boiling fuel in the float bowl and then flooding the engine . Most auto stores will have them (only helps if it has a pump) .

No fuel pump on the ag engines. though some industrials, and later models did.

soundguy

/ 8N hard starting when warm #32  
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I was saying the feul shut off could be used for AFTER you shut the tractor off. This will keep the fuel level from continuing to rise and causing it to flood after he shuts the tractor down. (Which is what it sounds like is happening) .

I'll go with that... had you actually posted that.. the reply would have been different.

I didn't know it already had one on the tank.

That's why random guesses help less then organized diagnostics.

A flood condition from a bad needle / seat is uite easy to diagnose at shutoff by pulling the air line and observing the mouth of the carb, and the sinterizeded plug.

soundguy

/ 8N hard starting when warm #33  
I am interested in how this one turns out. I dont have this problem with my 8n Ford, but my 1941 Allis Chalmers C does exactly the same thing. If you stall her after or during a real hard, hot workout, there is no way she will start again sooner than an hour or so. I had a real whiz rebuild the carb recently so I am quite certain that aint the problem. When she quits on me like that, I just leave her parked in the field and take a break or go get another tractor if the job has to get done fast. The problem can be especially aggrivateing and tireing because this tractor does not have electric start (must be cranked over by hand). This is a very tempermental tractor and also does not start good when the temperature is colder than 50 F or so.

/ 8N hard starting when warm #34  
Did you try holding the throttle wide open while cranking as I mentioned before? If it is flooding from the needle and seat not holding the fuel back
you could put a shut off valve in the line for a temporary fix.

Strangely enough I was able to understand what Carpenter383 was saying here. :D:D

/ 8N hard starting when warm
Well I bought and installed the factory steel fuel line and cleaned the carb out a bit with it still on the tractor. I also re adjusted everything on it and got the idle down pretty low so I could adjust the idle mixture screw. After a bit of tuning on the carb it seems to be running great, took it out and got it hot over the weekend and killed it, and turned it over twice and it fired right up. So thanks to everyone for the input on the subject, I guess the ol carb just needed a little lovin to bring her back to life.