Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 8N hard starting when warm

I just purchased a 1948 8N tractor, it starts and runs just fine when it is cold. Though once I start pulling some dirt around for a bit and starts to warm up if I shut it off it is very hard to get running again. It is still the positive ground 6volt setup. It does have a rubber fuel line from the sediment bowl to the carb instead of the steel one. Being that the rubber one looks to be larger than the steel one would that affect the fuel flow to be more than intended, causing it to get too much fuel to fire? I am lost here and do not know where to start.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110-HST

Default Re: 8N hard starting when warm

Change the condenser. Had the same problem,
    but with a negative ground system.
    Worth a shot for a couple of bucks. elad

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

We need a little more info. When you say it is hard to start, do you mean it wont crank fast or it cranks over fine and wont start.
    Bill

It does not sound to me like it is cranking any slower at all, it just does not fire. I do not give much throttle because it smells very rich, and if i turn the gas off at the sediment bowl then after a few more cranks it usually fires. But as far as the cranking,the 6 volt system seems to work just fine.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Have a few of this and that...but I bleed green!

Vapor Lock? It sounds like the fuel gets warm between the tank to the gravity feed carb- the engine is warmer and the fuel thins or evaporates in the line. 30 Years ago we had the same problem with a same era (late 40's) 8N Ford.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

You might also look at the coil. I had an old 6 volt ford that did the same thing and we found that as the engine heated up the coil did as well and would'nt give off enough spark to start the engine until it cooled down.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Vapor lock, try adding a cheap fuel pump. I added on just before the carb, and that helped with that same issue.

Tractor
    2007 Mahindra 3525, 1952 Ford 8N

Put on a new coil and condensor... When you shut off your tractor, they are heat soaking, and then must cool off to get working again.

What you have is a common problem with the front distributor N tractors. Easy fix.

***Edit***

Just saw your other post...

Quote Originally Posted by Clelle
    I do not give much throttle because it smells very rich, and if i turn the gas off at the sediment bowl then after a few more cranks it usually fires. But as far as the cranking,the 6 volt system seems to work just fine.
    This sounds like the float in your carburetor is either sticking, or just not stopping the flow of fuel when you shut the tractor off. You might want to get a carb rebuild kit, and rebuild the carb. Mine had this exact same issue when I bought it. Another fairly easy project, these tractors are very simple to work on.

Brian

2007 Mahindra 3525
    1952 Ford 8N

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti 3054xs TLB

Could be as simple as an ignition fix; or could be valves, and or compression issues. Engines that are well worn do not like to start warm.If you have, or have access to a compression gauge, check it on all cylinders. You don't need a ton of compression, but it needs to be fairly consistant among all cylinders(+/- 10&#37, and somewhere around 90 to 100 lbs. If you find one or more cylinders low, squirt a teaspoonful of oil into the cylinder and check again; if compression improves significantly, you have piston ring issues/If it doesn't improve, valves are at fault. Hope you find an ignition problem
    2004 3054xs
    1231 FEL
    Markham tooth-bar
    2376 BH, 9 and 18 inch buckets
    DR PTO chipper
    Blizzard B74 sno-blower
    250 hrs

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Weak Coil
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast