continental L head 4 cylinder engine

/ continental L head 4 cylinder engine #1  

snooker

Hi guys..... I have a 4 cylinder continental L head which runs great, but
really burns oil. What all would this engine need for a rebuild?

/ continental L head 4 cylinder engine #2  
How big?? I have an original 1948 hand crank, y-112 four cyl. power unit. I have not started it in a while but it ran excellent and used little to no oil. I totally give it a face lift. I did not do anything to the motor itself due to its soundness. PM me for more

Attachments

• Old computer pictures 1553.jpg
    Old computer pictures 1553.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,068
  • Old computer pictures 1551.jpg
    Old computer pictures 1551.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,474
  • Old computer pictures 1555.jpg
    Old computer pictures 1555.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,315
  • Old computer pictures 1554.jpg
    Old computer pictures 1554.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 981
   / continental L head 4 cylinder engine
Its an F400, but I don't know the hp rating.

/ continental L head 4 cylinder engine #4  
My reproduction manual for L-head continentals show a F400 power unit picture but no specs. It does show specs for 4 cyl f series f124, f135, f140, f162, f163. And F series specs in 6 cyl. f186, f209, f226, f227, f244, f245. Look at montesequipment.com they specialize in older continental motors. You are lookn to rebuild, you will also need a manual. I got mine at jensales.com and there also manuals available at wisconsinmotors.com Hope some of this helps.

/ continental L head 4 cylinder engine #5  
I have a continental F162 in my Terratrac bulldozer. I had no problem getting parts to rebuild. I got most of them from NAPA auto parts. It was probably 15 years ago that I did the rebuild. I guess parts availability could have changed by now but I would give then a try. I was able to get all new rings, bearings,valves and gaskets.

/ continental L head 4 cylinder engine #6  
F400 is the series. There should be a tag on the left side of the block above the dipstick to indicate which F model you have. Many parts are still available but not many are interchangeable between the models so you need the number off the tag.

/ continental L head 4 cylinder engine
No there is no numbers tag above the dipstick....the only numbers
are the casting numbers of F400 A 421/S CWC. I gave these
numbers to Foley marine & industrial engines and they said they
have all the parts for this engine, so I assume that was a good number
for them.

/ continental L head 4 cylinder engine #8  
There are alot of factors that come into play. The block will determine alot of them. tear down and visual inspection is a must.