Fixed PTO grinding sound

/ Fixed PTO grinding sound #1  

Bart

About a month ago I posted a problem with my Ford 1710. It would grind when you tried to engage the PTO with a KK five foot finish mower attached to the PTO.This tractor has a two-stage clutch and even though I thought I had adjusted the clutch properly(3/4 inch of pedal free-play) it still grinded.
Another turn and a half of the adjustment rod to make up for the slop in the linkage DID THE TRICK!!!!

Question, I still have approximately 3/4 of the adjustment
threads left ,does this mean the clutch adjustment process has just started and the clutch life expectancy is still relatively good and also how often should I have to expect to adjust the clutch under easy use ,mostly mowing (Tractor has 1500 hours on it)
Thanks Bart

/ Fixed PTO grinding sound #2  
Clutch linkage wear will increase free play, as you just found out. Actual clutch wear will DECREASE freeplay, necessitating linkage adjustments. Normally, as the transmission clutch disc wears, the internal 'step ' adjustment between stages increases and sooner or later, you will lose the ability to adjust out the grinding of the PTO without eliminating the freeplay. At that time, bite the bullet and split the tractor. Usually at that time, the transmission disc, pilot & release bearings and maybe the PTO disc can be replaced without replacing pressure plates. If you run it longer, plate damage can occur, as well as damage to the sliding gears in the PTO driveline. Not all repairs are typical; some more complicated than others.

/ Fixed PTO grinding sound #3  
About how many hours should a tractor get on a clutch, with moderate usage?

Soundguy

/ Fixed PTO grinding sound #4  
Average conditions, 1710 or 1910 clutch should last 2000 hrs with proper operation, adjustments and a little luck.

/ Fixed PTO grinding sound #5  
Thanks a bunch for the response,sounds like you have been down this road a few times

Bartman