help, on electrical

/ help, on electrical #1  

c23380

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 ck30
I own cub cadet mower ad the charging system went out. This I know because after it would not start, I cecked voltage with it running (jumped i off) and had 9.5v-10v. I am familiar with electronics, but I need a schematic or just a ruogh idea. It is a cub 2165 which has a 2 cylinder briggs. Here goes the assumption part. I assume it has a coil around the flywheel and the coil needs power to it to excite it, thus causing it to produce power to keep the battery charged. The part I do not have a grasp on is how it is regulated. Bottom line is this. I do not want to spend 50-100 dollars on a coil, if it is something else. What else do I need to check? Thanks all

/ help, on electrical #2  
I own cub cadet mower ad the charging system went out. This I know because after it would not start, I cecked voltage with it running (jumped i off) and had 9.5v-10v. I am familiar with electronics, but I need a schematic or just a ruogh idea. It is a cub 2165 which has a 2 cylinder briggs. Here goes the assumption part. I assume it has a coil around the flywheel and the coil needs power to it to excite it, thus causing it to produce power to keep the battery charged. The part I do not have a grasp on is how it is regulated. Bottom line is this. I do not want to spend 50-100 dollars on a coil, if it is something else. What else do I need to check? Thanks all

Some where there is a regulator that rectifies the AC to DC, Most are a little black box with three leads on it as the case is grounded . Two of the wires should read about 26 v AC, and if the regulator is good, the battery charging lead will read 12 to 14.2 v DC. You just might have a fuse blown.

/ help, on electrical #3  
It is possible that you just have a bad battery. Did you jump start it with a vehichle or something??

Some older and smaller engine don't have a voltage regulator, the battery acts as a regulator. And most will run even with the battery unhooked, but you will blow the headlights if you turn them on due to the battery being the regulator.

The reason why I suspect the battery is if you jumpstarted it from a vehichle, they have so much more juice that if your battery is bad, it wouldn't affect it, and then once running, you really don't deed the battery, as mentioned above, it's just a regulator, and used for starting. If it is bad, it could be pulling the entire system down, which is why you only show 9.5-10v.

If it was a good and charged battery, even with the charging system not working, it should maintain 12.2-12.6 v for awhile.

Long story short, Try unhooking the battery with it running, and then test the charging system and battery seperatly.

/ help, on electrical #4  
c23380,

Don't take for granted all the wiring and connections in the charging circuit are good. Check each connection for tightness and corrosion. Clean tight connections are needed and I would check them all before buying any parts. Had a similar problem years ago and a ground connection that appeared good had hidden corrosion.

kj

/ help, on electrical
I did not get to it this weekend but hopefully i will this week. Thank you guys for your help. I will let you all know of my results.