Tractor
    Ford 1720 4wd shuttle

Default Muffler flapper?

I use my ford 1720 in the woods and have to be very careful not to knock the muffler off.Would it hurt anything to take the tailpipe off and put a flapper directly on the muffler.That would shorten it up by about 12-15 inches or so and be less likely to get hung on a limb or something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscf0313camptractor-jpg  

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM1700

Default Re: Muffler flapper?

Quote Originally Posted by mr4shootin View Post
    I use my ford 1720 in the woods and have to be very careful not to knock the muffler off.Would it hurt anything to take the tailpipe off and put a flapper directly on the muffler.That would shorten it up by about 12-15 inches or so and be less likely to get hung on a limb or something.
    The only problem that i see with that is that it may be a little noisier and the exhaust would probably blow back into your face.
    Yanmar YM1700, rotary cutter, box blade, disc
    __/)

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

What kind of bolt pattern does the muffler have where it bolts to the manifold? A lot of tractors are designed with a 4 bolt pattern so that you can unbolt the muffler, rotate it 90 deg. forward, and bolt it back on. If yours is like that, you might try it and see how that works for you. The only thing is you might have to get a muffler shop to fabricate a new & shorter "tailpipe" that downturns.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I removed the factory top pipe from my muffler onmy 1920 and installed a flapper... what about putting a shorter flair on yours.. like those lil tailpipe extensions with the side flair.. that should drop the height by half or so..

soundguy

Tractor
    New Holland 1620

my 1620 you can rotate it 90 but I have the FEL so I'm screwed there... I just had a buddy make a shorter one bent the same on the end (to fit in the shed) but yeah it still catches clothes lines, tree branches and slowly but surely gets tipped toward the back of the tractor...

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

can you make a deflector . guide for it that is a piece of rebar or angle iron that is bolted at the front and then stops befroe the muffler upright.. make it in a wedge shape so that branches and lines ride up the guide and over the stack.

soundguy