Kama Clutch Replacement

/ Kama Clutch Replacement #1  

RJCoke

Tractor
KAMA 454
I have a 2004 Kama 454 and the clutch is slipping very badly. I have adjusted it to the max and as far as I can tell my only solution is to replace the clutch. When I called I was told there are two different clutches for it, a 10 Inch and an 11 Inch clutch. Question is..How do I tell which clutch it is without breaking the tractor down? I don't want to break it down before I have the clutch if I can help it since I will be doing the work outside and it's snowy and wet here in Montana. I would appreciate all the help I can get with this hummer..

/ Kama Clutch Replacement #2  
Contact Chip at Artrac Tractors in Ar. he can help you with the correct parts

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Kama Clutch Replacement #3  
Go to the chinese tractor forum. 3RRL has a great write up, complete with pictures when he did his clutch. It may help you once you find out which clutch you have. I was wondering how many hours do you have on your KAMA?

/ Kama Clutch Replacement #4  
Go to the chinese tractor forum. 3RRL has a great write up, complete with pictures when he did his clutch. It may help you once you find out which clutch you have. I was wondering how many hours do you have on your KAMA?

Thanks for pointing that out IH3444. Here is the link to the thread:
Clutch Repair Kama 554
Chip at Artrac is whom I purchased my new clutch disc from. He posts under bluechip here. Somewhere in that thread I may have said the diameter of it but not certain without re-reading the whole thing. If you have any questions, that thread should point out a lot of little things to look out for. Chip would know which clutch size you have. greg g has a 454 and has also done a clutch repair. Anyway, check out your release fingers and throw out bearing too. You may find you need to split the tractor first after all to asses what components need replacing. Chip has all the parts in stock and it's only shipping time from his place to yours.

My clutch was not worn but my throw out bearing was fried and frozen solid after (approx) 580 hours. That wore the clutch release fingers completely off which kept the clutch engaged (the pedal did not disengage it). The clutch(es) discs were barely worn ... only .010" wear on it. I'm pretty sure the 454 and 554 have the same guts in the transmissions except mine is a 4 cylinder and the 454 is a 3 cylinder engine.

One thing I would recommend to make things easier and perfect.
If you can make a plate which has the same counter bore as on your flywheel, you can clamp all the clutches and pressure plates together ... the entire clutch pack assembly. Then you can set all the clearances exactly as it would be bolted to your flywheel. Once you do that then the clutch pack can be bolted to your flywheel and all you have to do is set the clutch pedal travel and clearance from the outside.
Rob-

/ Kama Clutch Replacement
Thanx for all the information. I have the tractor broken apart and the throw out bearing appears to be OK. I spins nicely and there is just a small bright ring on the outside of it. The fingers are bright but dont seem to be excessively worn either. I am thinking it's the plates that are the problem. There seems to be an excessive amount of black dry crap all over the Inside of the bell housing. I haven't taken the clutch off yet but will probably get to that tomorrow.. if it don't snow or rain again. I really appreciate all the info from you guys.

RJC

/ Kama Clutch Replacement #6  
Thanx for all the information. I have the tractor broken apart and the throw out bearing appears to be OK. I spins nicely and there is just a small bright ring on the outside of it. The fingers are bright but dont seem to be excessively worn either. I am thinking it's the plates that are the problem. There seems to be an excessive amount of black dry crap all over the Inside of the bell housing. I haven't taken the clutch off yet but will probably get to that tomorrow.. if it don't snow or rain again. I really appreciate all the info from you guys.

RJC

If it's black dusty dry crap it's probably clutch disc material.
Good news about your throw out bearing and release fingers too.
There are 2 clutch discs as you know, the main drive clutch and the PTO clutch. Check both of them. Also check your pressure plates and the large disc springs ... the Bellevile type disc springs. If they are blue due to excessive heat, and perhaps lost there "spring", you might consider replacing them too. That (could) be a factor in excessive clutch wear if the plates are always touching and not spread apart by those disc springs.
Check that link out I provided above and you can see lots of photos of the whole shebang and a neat mod.
Rob-