lend it out and sure enough$

/ lend it out and sure enough$ #1  

Anonymous Poster

Well,, I always said I would'nt lend it out but I just can't say no to family. My brother-in-law borrowed my tractor, and not running any machinery, he beet the tar out of it and probably did'nt even know it, or he did'nt say he hit anything. I got the tractor back and a few weeks later I crawled under it to find that bar that links the two front wheels together bent to crap! also the oilpan was dinged pretty badly, I am assuming he ran it over a big rock and bent the link up/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. My question is, is it enough to mess it up bad if I keep driving it and can it be bent back? I have seen measurments to set the bar but where do I measure from?

/ lend it out and sure enough$ #2  
If the link is badly bent continuing to operate the tractor will wear out the front tires sooner than normal, it also places excessive pressure on the wheel bearings.
Yes it can be straightened. Usually without too much of a problem.
The measurement is usually called toe-in and is measured from the center of the front tires both front and back with the front measurement being slightly shorter which would be the toe-in.
If you had a profile one could look and see what tractor you were speaking of and one could offer more detailed help.

Bill

/ lend it out and sure enough$ #3  
If the draglink is bent, you may also want to look at other areas that mat have been stressed. Check out the steering box for leaks, and if there is power steering, check the rod surface, and the attatchment points, and well as hyd. hoses.

If the dents in the oil pan are bad enough, on your next change, you might consider dropping the pan and taking a wood block and hammer to it to straighten it out.

Just ideas.

Soundguy

/ lend it out and sure enough$ #4  
You're not the only one. My neighbor loaned out his older manual clutch Case 580 to a "friend". This guy didn't realize that with a tractor the clutch is either in or out, not in between and burned up the clutch, necessitating a $2000 or so repair. I lend my tractor to family members anytime, but with the exception of my dad who has his own tractor anyway, I come with it to operate it.

/ lend it out and sure enough$
No other leaks , just a dinged pan. I have a L3000 it is a gear model, when my brother ran it I did tell him that if he has to use the clutch when going ,he is in the wrong gear, I felt like I was being ****. Any ideas on how a guy with limited tools can straighten the drag link?

/ lend it out and sure enough$ #6  
There is always the heat an' beat method.. but I dislike using the smoke wrench on anything that is going to be under stress. Might try a sledge and no heat.. just depends on how bad the bend is. As a sugestion.. keep someting over the threaded end to protect it.. like the nut itself if possible.

Might try a pipe that you can just slide over the draglink ( disassembled ) and find a nice tree and/or other imovable objects, and gently ( and slowly ) bend the draglink back close to true. A large vise with pipe jaws or similar can be made to do this too.

Soundguy

"No other leaks , just a dinged pan. I have a L3000 it is a gear model, when my brother ran it I did tell him that if he has to use the clutch when going ,he is in the wrong gear, I felt like I was being ****. Any ideas on how a guy with limited tools can straighten the drag link? "

/ lend it out and sure enough$ #7  
Once you bend your drag link back, it will probably not be as strong, and it may again easier next time. Once it is straight you might try sliding it into a peice pipe just oversize, and tack weld the ends, to strengthen it. Try to use a peice of pipe just short of the original, but not so the welds will effect the threaded areas for the ball joints.

/ lend it out and sure enough$ #8  
Tie one end of a chain around the bent rod, tie the other end around the neck of the offending clod that bent it to start with.
(You don't bend stuff that bad without being aware of it!)

As dense as the offender is the rod will give way first. Stop pulling when the rod is straightened. Inform clod that his services are no longer required. Send him home.