Parking Brake Problem 2006 NH 45DA

/ Parking Brake Problem 2006 NH 45DA #1  

Charles Billings

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC45DA SuperSteer
I have a 2006 New Holland Boomer 45DA with about 560 hours. It was purchased slightly used (190 hours); it had only been used to pull a wagon in an orchard. Soon after getting it I noticed that the parking brake frequently released when stepping on the step on the brake side. Now, the parking brake will not hold at all. I don稚 know how many models of NH have this same design, but I think quite a few models and years. Essentially, the brake is set when a notched steel plate engages a V-grooved notch on the brake pedal. I don稚 see any adjustment, other than adjusting the rod for brake play, which does nothing to help keep the parking brake set.

I called my local service dealer who said he had never had to replace the engagement parts in this or similar model NH痴. This system is so relatively simple that I don稚 understand why my relatively new tractor should have had the problem so early, but no other similar NH痴 have it even after many hours of use. The service person said he could get a new part (the notched steel plate) for about $65, but couldn稚 guarantee that this would solve the problem.

I am hoping that someone in this discussion group has had a similar problem, knows someone who has, or knows the solution. I don稚 mind spending $65 for a new part plus labor if it solves the problem, but hate to spend the money if there is another solution, or if the new part doesn稚 work.

/ Parking Brake Problem 2006 NH 45DA

Repost--Not sure why my prior post had some garbled script. Please find it repeated here, hopefully without the same problems.

I have a 2006 New Holland Boomer 45DA with about 560 hours. It was purchased slightly used (190 hours); it had only been used to pull a wagon in an orchard. Soon after getting it I noticed that the parking brake frequently released when stepping on the step on the brake side. Now, the parking brake will not hold at all. I don稚 know how many models of NH have this same design, but I think quite a few models and years. Essentially, the brake is set when a notched steel plate engages a V-grooved notch on the brake pedal. I don稚 see any adjustment, other than adjusting the rod for brake play, which does nothing to help keep the parking brake set.

I called my local service dealer who said he had never had to replace the engagement parts in this or similar model NH痴. This system is so relatively simple that I don稚 understand why my relatively new tractor should have had the problem so early, but no other similar NH痴 have it even after many hours of use. The service person said he could get a new part (the notched steel plate) for about $65, but couldn稚 guarantee that this would solve the problem.

I am hoping that someone in this discussion group has had a similar problem, knows someone who has, or knows the solution. I don稚 mind spending $65 for a new part plus labor if it solves the problem, but hate to spend the money if there is another solution, or if the new part doesn稚 work.

/ Parking Brake Problem 2006 NH 45DA #3  
I had the same problem with my NH TT75 with about 100 hours on it.

From memory, the orange handle you pull up controlls a rod which engages the teeth. The adjustment is a nut on the rod, mabey two nuts to lock in position. When the nut is loose, the brake won't engage the teeth and the brake pedals don't stay locked down.

Its a pretty simple mechanism, just get someone to pull it up/down a few times when you look at it an you will soon have it adjusted right.

/ Parking Brake Problem 2006 NH 45DA #4  
There's also a learned knack to using it. Having used many tractors with that mechanism. It is not my favorite design. You have to push the pedal way down and then pull on the parking brake knob. Keep pulling on the knob as you release the pedal.

Andy

/ Parking Brake Problem 2006 NH 45DA #5  
Common problem on the class III Boomers. Take the mechanism apart and clean it up well with brake parts cleaner, or WD-40. Run a gun barrel brush thru all of the pivot point holes. Use a thin film of light grease as you re-assemble all the pivot points. Try not to get too much grease exposed, it will just attract dust.

I know several folks have had this problem, I know "jinman" did. I did !

Try searching the "New Holland Owning and Operating" forum.

/ Parking Brake Problem 2006 NH 45DA #6  
I had the same problem with my Mahindra. I had to remove my brake pedal arm and work on the notches with a file to get the teeth right to hold engagement.. That was about 3 years ago. Now it's getting that way again, will have to clean it up again. Properly machined from the factory and hardened a little would have stopped this problem before it started.