Howes Brush hog tail wheel

/ Howes Brush hog tail wheel #1  

okie350

Silver Member
Tractor
L3010 & BX2200
Does any one know what size tail wheel is for a 5 foot Howes brush hog? The one I have is missing the tail wheel and needs a replacement.

Thanks

/ Howes Brush hog tail wheel #2  
parts list in yer manual? mine has one..

soundguy

/ Howes Brush hog tail wheel #3  
Go to Howes.com and you can view the parts diagrams and order the parts you need.

Stu

/ Howes Brush hog tail wheel
I have the part number and CAN order one from Howes, It does not list the size though.

Tractor supply is just down the road and I can pick one up there I am sure a little cheaper and quicker if I know what size. Anyone know?

/ Howes Brush hog tail wheel #5  
If you have the old spindle and fork, take it with you and see if the laminated tail wheel TSC sells will fit your setup.

soundguy

/ Howes Brush hog tail wheel #6  
When I bought mine the tail wheel pivot bracket was bent, so I bought a new one at Agri-Supply. I don't know that is was particularly for a Howse, but it worked just fine. I just bolted the wheel into the new one and slid it into the bracket on the back.
Note, I did have to install a bolt with double nuts on it to retain it, as other pins kept getting ripped out as I cut brush.

Chris

/ Howes Brush hog tail wheel #7  
I have the part number and CAN order one from Howes, It does not list the size though.

Tractor supply is just down the road and I can pick one up there I am sure a little cheaper and quicker if I know what size. Anyone know?

I have both a Howse cutter and TSC KingKutter. I think the whole tailwheel assy. is the same on both. I'll check for sure, but I'm not sure if you are just in need of the tailwheel or the complete axle fork assembly with the pivot. When you lose a tailwheel, normally it's because the pin shears off in the pivot and the whole assy. drops out. I'll check both and get back to you later today. I do think you could buy either the wheel or the whole assembly at TSC and it would fit your cutter.

/ Howes Brush hog tail wheel #8  
just got to match od of spindel to id of bracket plus spindle height to make sur ethere is pin room above bracket, and / or id of wheel hub to od of wheel axle, plus wheel height and width.

should be easy to match up with fork in hand at tsc.. deffinately a go / no-go situation if just needing the wheel.

soundguy

/ Howes Brush hog tail wheel #9  
I have both a Howse cutter and TSC KingKutter. I think the whole tailwheel assy. is the same on both. I'll check for sure, but I'm not sure if you are just in need of the tailwheel or the complete axle fork assembly with the pivot. When you lose a tailwheel, normally it's because the pin shears off in the pivot and the whole assy. drops out. I'll check both and get back to you later today. I do think you could buy either the wheel or the whole assembly at TSC and it would fit your cutter.

I checked my two cutters and this is what I found:

- both tailwheels are identical, 15" diameter
- pivot pins on the tailwheel fork are both exactly 5" long
- the Howse tailwheel has slightly more rake angle than the KK and is probably 1-1/2" shorter from the pivot pin to the axle. This is a non-issue since the tailwheel height is adjustable on both cutters.

I'd say you could buy the KK tailwheel from TSC and it will work fine.:)

/ Howes Brush hog tail wheel #10  
Forgot to mention. . . both tailwheel pivot shafts are 1-1/4" diameter.