C.A.V. Injector pump problems?

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems? #1  

gengine

Platinum Member
I've got a Massey 165 with a Perkins AD4.203 diesel engine. The Injector pump is a C.A.V. pump. The whole problem started while clearing snow with the FEL. The tractor rpm's went through the roof, causing the head gasket to blow out. We got everything fixed, or so i thought, the tractor starts and runs really well, but the rpm's are still very very high. The throttle lever does nothing to control the rpm's. I have to pull out the kill knob half way to keep the engine under control. Does anybody know what is going on with this engine? All of the old farmers that I talk to around here say when a injector pump goes, it either sends fuel into the oil or it quits. And if it is the Injector pump, does anybody have a good one on hand they want to sell, or have a good place to send mine to have it rebuilt?

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems? #2  
Just guessing here, might you be having a slight 'run away' engine problem ?

I mean, could you be sucking 'fuel/oil' from some place ?

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems? #3  
G'day it sounds to me like you have got a broken govenor pull it off and get it o/hauled yes it will prob cost more than a s/hand unit but how good is it going to be, it is a fairly simple job to R&R if you are a bit handy with the spanners if not get a local mech to do it should only take about an hour. Dont forget to put new fiter/s on it when you put the pump on. Best of luck:)

Jon

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems?
Thanks for the swift replies. I haven't had it running enough to find out if I had a slight run away problem, but I dont think that is the case. The head gasket blew and all my coolant ended up in the oil. It seems I got lucky and the rest of the engine doesn't sound hurt, never did. Anyway, it hasn't been run enough to lower the oil level, and the exhaust is clear. I really think it has something to do with either the throttle or governor linkage inside the pump itself. Since it already doesnt work, I am thinking about pulling on some latex loves and taking it apart. Can't hurt anything now I guess. If I were to send it off to be o-hauled, the nearest place is in Ogden, Ut. The rep I talked to informed me it was an automatic $500 just to take it apart. So that is what I am looking at.

G'day it sounds to me like you have got a broken govenor pull it off and get it o/hauled yes it will prob cost more than a s/hand unit but how good is it going to be, it is a fairly simple job to R&R if you are a bit handy with the spanners if not get a local mech to do it should only take about an hour. Dont forget to put new fiter/s on it when you put the pump on. Best of luck:)

Jon

Just a quick question, what do you mean by filters and spanners? If your talking about the usual fuel filters, they were done the other day. Ten minutes run time on the both of them. I've already taken the governor cover off and can't see any problem, therefore, I think it is whatever it connects to on the inside. Is it possible that the return line could be plugged, forcing the fuel to go to the injectors instead of back to the fuel filter?

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems? #6  
Spanners = English/Aussie = wrenches! (Typically open end)

Oops...I think I knew that. Worked with a few Aussies in the middle east.

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems? #8  
G'day sorry sometimes i forget that you guys don't understand proper english:rolleyes: it is possible that you could have a blocked return but that is easy to check take the return line off and run it into a container. I was not being smart about filters as you would be surprised the amount of people that will change engine oil and filters religously but not worry about the fuel filters until it wont go :confused:. I still think that you have got a prob in the govenor maybe the metering valve is stuck i would not go into it that far unless you have got a test bench in the shed to check it when you have it back together or you may find the stop lever won't stop it:(. Best of luck going in that deep is best left to the experts

I read somewhere else on the 'net about putting some Automatic Transmission Fluid in the second fuel filter and cranking the motor until the ATF is in the pump. Then I guess let it sit a day or so, and then open all the injector lines and crank fuel back into the pump. It is supposed to free up anything that might be stuck. The thing is, the machine ran great for three or four hours before all the problems started. I don't really see how anything can all of a sudden get stuck "wide open" when it wasn't wide open to begin with. That's why I was wondering about the return line being plugged. As for the filters, I was just making sure that there weren't any little screens or anything other than the primary and secondary filters. I thought I had a truck covered once with a fuel filter change, but there was a second one on the carb. But so far everything points to the injector pump, and because it already isn't working right, or so I think, I might take it apart anyway. Who knows, might learn something.

Does anybody know if the Lucas Cav injector pump is the same on a Massey 180 with a perkins diesel. I haven't seen this parts tractor yet, but the picture of the pump looks the same. The guy who owns it says I can have anything that I want off the tractor, but I have to take the whole tractor or none of it. So I don't want to take all the extra junk if its not going to work for me.