Tecumseh ... no fuel .. ??

/ Tecumseh ... no fuel .. ?? #1  

doc49633

SEEMS to me that there is no fuel delivery ... what "works" that fuel pump? The fuel filter is NOT plugged.

This motor in a riding mower runs OK .. if you give-it-a-shot of starting fluid .. to keep it running.

Help !! .. the lawn is getting longer by the day !!

/ Tecumseh ... no fuel .. ?? #2  
There are lots of different carbs, so ill just take a shot in the dark. If it has a fuel bowl with float on the bottom, take it off and check for gunk built up in there. There will probably be a rubber hose coming from the engine to carb, this is what makes the fuel pump work, check it for cracks and tightness. Usually right where the line connects to the carb is where the fuel pump diaphram is located, check it for tears. Be careful not to loose those little springs. Good luck and post back with how you got it running.

/ Tecumseh ... no fuel .. ?? #3  
what carb?

soundguy

/ Tecumseh ... no fuel .. ?? #4  
Doc:
Is the fuel pump mounted externally, meaning not inside the carb, maybe on the side of the engine with one hose connected to fuel filter (which connects to tank), one hose to carb fuel inlet, and a third hose to engine crankcase? If so, it is an impulse-type fuel pump. Troubleshoot by removing line to carb at fuel pump, remove impulse/third hose at crankcase and alteranately suck and blow in line you removed from crankcase (should be dry/no gas, you are on the air side of the diaphragm, imitating "ipulses" in the crankcase), look for fuel coming out of pump where you removed carb hose.

If no fuel when imitating "impulses", then about 3 things come to mind:
1. Clogged filter (but you say not so)
2. Clogged hose to tank or junk at bottom of tank clogging fuel flow
3. Fuel pump itself

You can eliminate 2 of these possibles by connecting a line direct to inlet of pump and putting other end is a can of gasoline and doing the "impulse" imitation again to see if pumping (eliminated filter and tank clog). If not, almost certain pump problem, probably need to replace, but pump itself could be full of junk I guess.

RavensRoost

/ Tecumseh ... no fuel .. ?? #6  
I wish we would hear back on many of these posts. so many come and go with no further follow-up info...

soundguy

/ Tecumseh ... no fuel .. ??
THANKS guys for the answers .... I have not been able to check this out so far .. but will try later today. THX again.

This fuel pump IS mounted on the side of the engiine with hoses going to it from the crankcase ....do these pumps need to be changed from time to time?

/ Tecumseh ... no fuel .. ?? #8  
I have Tecumseh 9.5 HP. It also didn't work. After I removed the carb bowl I found small amount of water inside. Cleaned that and it started right away.

/ Tecumseh ... no fuel .. ?? #9  
Fuel pump is easy to check out, just take the line off the carb, remove the plug wire, and crank, and see if fuel is being pumped. Water is a big problem for carbs, Only Honda is smart enough to put a bleed screw in the carb bowl. Remove the bowl and dump water, clean bowl, and make sure the fuel is coming in to the bowl. You might have to run a wire up the jet to clean it out.